DSS #92 - Thumb & Fingers (jawsnap)

jawsnapjawsnap Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited January 5, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I'm kind of new to this - I've only participated in one DSS before. But it seems that the thing to do is start a thread for your entry, so here's mine.
I got a few :dunno comments in the entry gallery. Does anyone see the 'illusion'? I meant for it to be pretty subtle at a glance. I'd be happy to explain, but I thought I'd ask first...

2011-12-13-Thumb-and-Fingers-S.jpg

Comments

• kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Welcome, Looking forward to seeing more of your work. I did not get this illusion because I am not sure what I am seeing. It looks like a mirror is there but what am I missing?
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Hi - Looks to me like a thumb rising up out of possibly a mirror, but it's a pretty subtle illusion overall. Since I'm not one for creating these things myself I don't think i can comment on how to make it an illusion standout for the challenge. Good luck, GP
  • jawsnapjawsnap Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 4, 2012
    So yeah, it's sort of a mirror. It's a platter from a 3.5" hard drive, which are awesome because they are ridiculously smooth - no comparison to a regular glass mirror. I stuck my thumb through it for the photo.
    I thought it looked interesting because from a distance it looks normal, but if you pay attention there's obviously something strange going on. Anyways... til next time...
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    jawsnap wrote: »
    So yeah, it's sort of a mirror. It's a platter from a 3.5" hard drive, which are awesome because they are ridiculously smooth - no comparison to a regular glass mirror. I stuck my thumb through it for the photo.
    I thought it looked interesting because from a distance it looks normal, but if you pay attention there's obviously something strange going on. Anyways... til next time...

I'll be darn! cool idea!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    jawsnap wrote: »

very nice!
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    I had no idea what this was; but several days ago I showed my son, and he immediately knew exactly what he was looking at, and explained it to me. Nice job!!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    The best illusions are ones that keep people guessing. This is a great illusion & a very well taken & processed photo. Kinda disappointing that it did so poorly in the vote, since from the comments on the shot, nobody seemed to figure out what it was yet it was such a simple & common item to all of us. Now that I know what it is, I see it immediately. With the theme being illusion, it makes my vote more satisfying knowing I thought it was something else when I voted for it!

(& btw Kate - congrats on the win) :)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    After reading what the image was, I've experienced a BGO moment (Blinding Glimpse of the Obvious). Nice.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug