Options

DSS 92 - Tiny dancer

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited December 23, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Finally have a bit of time to play & would like some feedback as to whether these might work? I really tried to get the "actual" shot of a dancer in a hand in the auditorium but when the dancer was small enough to fit in the hand & I focussed on the dancer on the stage, the hand was so blurred you couldn't tell what it was. So I just played in Elements. Comments welcome!

1. Tiny dancers in my hand
TinySnow-M.jpg

2. Tiny dancer in my hand
IMG1464-M.jpg

Rita-M.jpg

kj-M.jpg
~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    Personally, for these to be optical illusions I'd like to see some, like this one, done in camera, rather than in photoshop. Seems to me the real skill and illusion is done that way, not by pixel moving. Sorry to use your thread for this rant, but too many of what are posted in the challenge already are just pixel games, not photo illusions. Unfortunately I don't have the time to shoot, such myself, this challenge, but I have seen un post manipulated photo setups that give the illusion that some Escher images do.

They may be arty, but to me they are not 'illusions'. Just saying, IMHO.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    I really like this idea. Of these, I like #4 the best. The angle of #1 looks off, and the light/dark balance of #2 and #3 isn't quite right. #4 is great!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Personally, for these to be optical illusions I'd like to see some, like this one, done in camera, rather than in photoshop. Seems to me the real skill and illusion is done that way, not by pixel moving. Sorry to use your thread for this rant, but too many of what are posted in the challenge already are just pixel games, not photo illusions. Unfortunately I don't have the time to shoot, such myself, this challenge, but I have seen un post manipulated photo setups that give the illusion that some Escher images do.

They may be arty, but to me they are not 'illusions'. Just saying, IMHO.

Don
    Don - I agree with you & don't worry about the 'rant'. I was hoping to get the shot in-camera, but couldn't figure out how to do it with the stage lighting, thus the photoshop. Not real thrilled with it as it doesn't look that "real" to me, but it does seem that several of the entries so far are pixel-manipulated. Am still trying to come up with other ideas. Last year I got a shot that had a mysterious foot in it that nobody could figure out where it came from, but not this year. And I LOVE Escher - been trying to think of how to get a shot like that but not coming up with anything yet.

Kate - Thanks for the comments & reasoning. I still wish it looked more realistic.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    Don - I agree with you & don't worry about the 'rant'.

%snip%

And I LOVE Escher - been trying to think of how to get a shot like that but not coming up with anything yet.

Kate - Thanks for the comments & reasoning. I still wish it looked more realistic.
    A somewhat recent MAKE: online post was of just this sort of thing. He had a car and track racing set set up with one end up high and the other on the flor and things aligned so for a very specific camera angle it locked like they connected and a car could race around in circles on it. thumb.gif.

One could do other constructs similarly for a specific camera angle.

:D

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2011
    Actually it was a waterfall illusion video! The how to is here.

Very well done! :D A similar still photo could be done with many of Escher's ideas.

Don