Options

Is it real or Photoshopped?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
edited December 27, 2011 in The Big Picture
Fascinating collection of the history of photo manipulation dating back from long before computers and Photoshop to the present: http://www.fourandsix.com/photo-tampering-history/

It was interesting to read the reactions of the publishers involved, which ranged from firing the photographers and editors to saying it's just business as usual. It made me realize that photojournalism standards are not as clear-cut as I believed. Let the viewer beware.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 23, 2011
    The fact is that many images in fashion (and like) magazines receive some form of manipulation. I guess I expect it in publications that are meant to entertain. Not so in publications whose intent is more knowledge based (like news and science).

I know school pictures were often retouched although mostly to remove blemishes.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    Search on News "Photoshop Fashion Photos"
    Search on online News "Photoshop Fashion Photos" and you will find a number of articles about the concern of edited fashion photos.

As an example:
    "Scientists Scrutinize Digital Retouching<header> </header> In popular fashion and beauty magazines, photographs of celebrities and models constantly retouched with Photoshop to make lips look fuller and hips smaller— but readers, feminists, and scientists are eager to reverse the trend. Computer scientists at Dartmouth are proposing a software tool that will measure how drastically photos are altered. The research is being published this week and intends to address concerns about how airbrushing can contribute to body-image anxiety and eating disorders, particularly among young women. Lesley Jane Seymour, editor in chief of More magazine, says readers have developed a keen eye for Photoshopped images and would prefer celebrities to look “real.”

To remove blemishes and a few wrinkles if a person requests it seems fine with me, but I think some fashion photos may go to far.

What do others think?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    Ever since the advent of digital photography I've been ROTFL at juried photo contests that wouldn't accept digital photographs because "they could be modified." I guess the people who presided over these contests never wondered how Trotsky managed to disappear from early Bolshevik group pictures.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    Photographers are working with a two dimensional plane and trying to make it look three dimensional by manipulating light, changeing camera angles ect, so photography in a sense isn't real, we are simply creating images .

We start manipulating the process from the onset to achieve our vision, but where does one draw the line ? That's up to the individual, it depends on what is in the minds eye, our imagination,and the reason why we created the image and for what purpose.

Just don't buy a lens that makes your wife look fat .
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    lensmole wrote: »

Just don't buy a lens that makes your wife look fat .

or wrinkled ... :D:D:D.... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    What I find interesting, as photoshopping/manipulation goes, is an almost unexpected push towards the extreme of "if it got tweaked at all, it's fake." Now, most of my pics are for print, and therefore, my standards are dramatically different than if I were shooting a wedding (which, thankfully, I haven't had to do in ages.) Anyhoo, almost every pic is going to have some adjustment done to the mid-range levels/curves due to the need to pre-press for dot gain.

I don't think that's "photoshopping." Yet I recall working on one particularly muddy image a reporter gave me, and I played with the dodge tool and art history brushes to bring out a slightly dark face. I figure that if I coulda done it back in the darkroom days (I could and did), it's OK.

But there have certainly been some pretty high-profile chop jobs pushed out on the wires, lemme tellya.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net