Options

pedal

doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited December 27, 2011 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 24, 2011
    Nice panning technique, but I think you need to go beyond that to end up with a memorable image. We've seen dozens of people in motion on bicycles. There needs to be something additional--light, background, juxtaposition, expression, composition--to engage the viewer.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2011
    Inagine that... A guy on a bike.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2011
    Tough crowd... :D

On the positive side, your panning technique is good: blurred spokes and background for subject separation
    Rags
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice panning technique, but I think you need to go beyond that to end up with a memorable image. We've seen dozens of people in motion on bicycles. There needs to be something additional--light, background, juxtaposition, expression, composition--to engage the viewer.

What you said.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    I can only echo B.D. and Richard. It's a lot better at panning than I have done in my limited experience, I'll tell you that much.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2011
    i thought the panning/motion made the picture decent. i also liked how the background is blurred and find it interesting which made me posted this up.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2011
    Don't give up, Kitt. It was a worthwhile try; it just didn't make the cut. Want to know how many of my tries don't make the cut?... Don't ask... But I've learned to cull.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 26, 2011
    doob wrote: »
    i thought the panning/motion made the picture decent. i also liked how the background is blurred and find it interesting which made me posted this up.
    It is decent, no question about that. We're just trying to encourage you to do better than that. thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    doob wrote: »

It is a good panning shot of a bicyclist. He is placed well in the frame and the watery background with the blurred fence makes for a decent shot. Had I been there and it occurred to me to try my panning technique, I would have been pleased with this.

Where the pushback is occurring is that there is a recent push in this forum to tell a better story and to hold posters to perceived higher standards. That makes it tough to be a first time/early poster here and not feel criticized. It is more a reflection on "us" than on your photo. So photos like this and of street people, buskers, etc. are criticized as being "low hanging fruit", even though many of the posters first began taking similar shots in their photographic journey...

So keep taking the shots, keep posting and offer feedback to others when you can.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    What's a busker?

BTW Rainbow, well said
    Rags
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Hear, hear! Rainbow.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    [sigh]
    If I could only figure out how you're doing this so well with my triathlon buddy's, and in color....
    [/sigh]

In other words, I think it's a fine capture using a panning technique to isolate the subject from the environment and you've done it well.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    It is a good panning shot of a bicyclist. He is placed well in the frame and the watery background with the blurred fence makes for a decent shot. Had I been there and it occurred to me to try my panning technique, I would have been pleased with this.

Where the pushback is occurring is that there is a recent push in this forum to tell a better story and to hold posters to perceived higher standards. That makes it tough to be a first time/early poster here and not feel criticized. It is more a reflection on "us" than on your photo. So photos like this and of street people, buskers, etc. are criticized as being "low hanging fruit", even though many of the posters first began taking similar shots in their photographic journey...

So keep taking the shots, keep posting and offer feedback to others when you can.

yup i totally understand. i was just explaining why i posted the picture.

thanks for all your comments and feedbacks and also helping me raising the bar.