simple optical illusion

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited December 26, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
As I was relaxing last night with my glass of wine, I noticed that I could read all my book titles clearly through the glass. Does this work as an optical illusion?
i-zwsJjX6-L.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    I really like this shot - love that you can read them so clearly, great focus! The orange on the far left seems to draw my attention away from the glass just a bit, but if it were muted a touch I don't think I'd notice it. And as far as the illusion, I didn't expect to be able to read the names on the books since the image in the glass is flipped, so it was a surprise to be able to read the words. If you wanted to play with it, you could use books that are all the same height & put a shelf or board on top of them to make it seem like you're looking at the bottom of the books resting on a shelf rather than the top side of them. But I think the lighting, comp & focus on this shot is great!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    cool, works for me!
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    Now you're talking! Great! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2011
    This is good. Couple nits. The light colored book is really distracting. I'd make all the books a darker. The other one is that the vertical line of the books are a bit skewed to the left. I'd straighten them.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2011
    BTW.. what would it look like if you filled the entire frame with the glass? I'd try that.

My Smug Site
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2011
    are either of these better?

#2 darkened and straightened
    i-qsF2T7R-XL.jpg
    #3 cropped
    i-Jp4kVTr-XL.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    I can't decide. I like them both!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2011
    Very clever! Works well for me as far as being "on theme." I think I have a slight preference of the 2nd #2.....the darkening was a fine idea. However, I thought that having more books in the background as in the first image presented worked the best....they helped balance the composition (for me, at least.)
  • torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Great spotting, well on theme. Prefer #2 darkened & straightened - having the books in the background give context to the illusion, which is lost on the crop, and being darkened do not find distracting.
    edited December 26, 2011
    #2 winner

My Smug Site
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Another vote for #2. I really like your idea and this image turned out very nice with the crop and darkening.

Sherry