Options

Overnight shot

davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited December 24, 2011 in Technique
Hi guys--

Here is what I'd like to do and would like your input and help-- I want to begin a time-lapse from sunset to sunrise and everything in between. My intervolometer is not working, but I have a laptop that can go outside and I have a power source for it (the camera would be on its own power). When I do star trails I do 30 sec exposures but I've never done dusk to dawn.... the battery is healthy and I think may last but really I'm looking for technique here. Has anyone ever done this-- if so-- how? Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 24, 2011
    A single battery won't last dusk to dawn. I get around 3 or 4 hours max. I always use an intervalometer, but a google search of "laptop pc intervalometer" suggests taking a look at Zoombrowser and maybe DPP for this purpose. I think there are also applications you can download with that function. What software are you going to use to make the video? You've got me thinking I should probably take a crack at converting some of my long star trails sequences into timelapses too.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    A single battery won't last dusk to dawn. I get around 3 or 4 hours max. I always use an intervalometer, but a google search of "laptop pc intervalometer" suggests taking a look at Zoombrowser and maybe DPP for this purpose. I think there are also applications you can download with that function. What software are you going to use to make the video? You've got me thinking I should probably take a crack at converting some of my long star trails sequences into timelapses too.

Thanks kdog-- I did a very long star trail photo of last years solstice lunar eclipse-- the total time the camera shot was 6 hours on a fresh charge. So I know its doable for that long but I was going to shoot for 12 hours, dusk to dawn. Sadly I don't have a second battery right now! DOH! Oh well... I think I'd like a star trail to sunrise more than a dusk to star trails... so perhaps I'll plan it for that until I can get a power source for the entire duration.

I plan on stacking the photos first-- for the trails. But I'll use my iMac software to to the time lapse. I'm brand new to the iMac so it'll be an experiment for me!! I shoot tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes! i think what I might do is take a sunset photo of my house (it faces west-- better light) and then take the camera inside until the wee hours of the morning when I'll begin the star trails shot until sunrise. We have 2+ feet of snow on the ground and it's due to be clear in a million tonight! So it should be good shooting.

Thank God for quick release tripods-- I think this is doable-- never know until I try.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2011
    davidryan wrote: »
    Thanks kdog-- I did a very long star trail photo of last years solstice lunar eclipse-- the total time the camera shot was 6 hours on a fresh charge.
    So the shutter was actually open for that amount of time? Or was there a shot spacing interval such that you weren't shooting continuously? I'm just amazed that your XTi (according to your profile) can shoot continuously for six hours while my 5DMKII with a more powerful battery can't even got four. headscratch.gif

So I threw one of my star trails sequence in MS MovieMaker and made my first timelapse. :D Link: http://www.desertilluminations.com/Sky/Astrophotography/10354914_pJJjkf#1645527715_BxpkMTH-A-LB
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2011
    So the shutter was actually open for that amount of time? Or was there a shot spacing interval such that you weren't shooting continuously? I'm just amazed that your XTi (according to your profile) can shoot continuously for six hours while my 5DMKII with a more powerful battery can't even got four. headscratch.gif

So I threw one of my star trails sequence in MS MovieMaker and made my first timelapse. :D Link: http://www.desertilluminations.com/Sky/Astrophotography/10354914_pJJjkf#1645527715_BxpkMTH-A-LB

I'm notoriously bad for keeping my profile up to date. The camera that will be used is a Canon 60D. I don't know how that compares to the battery you're using.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2011

Love your star trails btw!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2011
    I'm notoriously bad for keeping my profile up to date. The camera that will be used is a Canon 60D. I don't know how that compares to the battery you're using.
    Oh! It uses the same battery I believe and the 60D may use less power. That would explain it.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2011
    Love your star trails btw!!!!!
    Which, the video? Or did you see the actual star trails composite? (here: http://www.desertilluminations.com/Sky/Astrophotography/10354914_pJJjkf#717469907_mDrJN )

Either way, thanks. :D