Options

Replacing a backround

lilbillymakerlilbillymaker Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited December 31, 2011 in Finishing School
Currently, I have a white backround, but I keep seeing cool photos where the backround is replaced in this manner (I attached the file, borrowed from Instagrm). I am having the hardest time figuring it out (using only PSE 10)
I've been trying to use the Magic Extractor which works but when I move it to the new picture, I am using a new file set at a ridiculously high pixel/inch setting and STILL the original photo is WAY larger than the new file. This frustrates me most because the file I'm cutting the girl out of is 2.5Mb and the new file I'm moving her to is 11Mb+.
What am I missing, all advice is welcome but please tell me I don't have to spend a fortune on some thing like color Nik software.
TIA!!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,833 moderator
    edited December 25, 2011
    Your replacement background image should be pre-scaled to be the same size, or larger, than the foreground/subject image "and" set the "pixels/inch" to be the same for both images. That should get you a very good starting point.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Thanks very much ziggy53, that's actually my biggest frustration because as far as I know, I am sizing the new file to be bigger than the original. It's really got me stumped. And then the backround is an entirely different mountain I'm trying to scale. Hopefully I'll be able to work it out though, thanks!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 26, 2011
    This background in the posted image almost looks like a graduated density gradient fill - you can create these in Photoshop ( not sure about PSE ) but just filling a layer with the gradient tool set to rotating gradient.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,833 moderator
    edited December 26, 2011
    Thanks very much ziggy53, that's actually my biggest frustration because as far as I know, I am sizing the new file to be bigger than the original. It's really got me stumped. And then the backround is an entirely different mountain I'm trying to scale. Hopefully I'll be able to work it out though, thanks!

Work on each image separately and save them with the proper attributes of size and pixels/inch. When you do the composite and merge, it should work.

Alternately, upgrade to either Photoshop or PaintShop Pro, either of which have better layer controls. (The GIMP will do in a pinch, and it's free.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2011
    Thanks Pathfinder, and Ziggy53, I'm going to try both of those. I appreciate the advice!