How I Created My Optical Illusion

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited December 28, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I thought I'd begin a thread talking about how we created our optical illusions.

Mine was created by using 1 lit candle and 2 mirrors set perpendicular to each other. I set the lit candle on top of one mirror and pushed that mirror and candle up against a 2nd mirror. (The mirrors were like this: |_ ) I set them up on the floor so they could be straight and the bottom one flat. Then I got down on the floor on my stomach and set my camera on top of the bottom mirror and took photos of the candle and the reflections. My #1 photo is the 1 candle with it's reflections. The #2 photo is the same image turned counter clockwise 90 degrees. :) In the #2 version, if you look at it closely, you can see the eyes of an elephant and its trunk, or you can see a koala bear looking back at you, or a couple of aliens with alien eyes staring at you. :D

1. "Follow the Yellow Brick Road"
P1070369-howmany1-X2.jpg

2. "Eye See You" (Can you see the eyes staring at you? It also looks like an animal.. Which one?)
P1070369-howmany2-X2.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I sure would enjoy reading how others created their optical illusions, if you wouldn't mind posting it here all in one thread. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    Someone asked me in a PM about where I found the font to replicate Magritte's
    label of "This is not a pipe" . I knew I couldn't duplicate the writing in a font.

I found an image of the original Magritte painting online and saved it. Then,
    in Photoshop, I removed Magritte's pipe and signature, printed that out large
    enough to work with, and fastened it to a clipboard placed vertically as a
    backdrop.

I used a pipe I had and positioned it about 6" in front of my backdrop (to
    eliminate shadows) using a wire to hold it in place and photographed it.
    So, the photo is original and current. I cloned out the wire.

The photo is far from a strong contender in this group, but I enjoyed
    the exercise of figuring out how to do something more complex than
    snapping a shutter.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    It's very easy to create a Mobius zipper: here's where I found the basics: http://www.instructables.com/id/Mobius-Zipper/

I added some strong sidelighting (for deep shadows) and clipped some of the edges of the frame to add to the confusion/illusion. Unfortunately, based on the comments, I may have taken it a bit too far. :lol My only excuse is that some darn holiday or another got in the way of perfecting my idea. :D