Diffraction illusions for CC (last minute)

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited December 26, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was out of town with little to no internet through most of the challenge, but that gave me some chances to get a few shots I'd wanted to for a while. I'm impressed with what people have produced now that I can look in the gallery.

Diffraction stars are a favorite effect of mine (must be the geek in me). I was trying to think of how to use them to create an illusion. Here are a couple of attempts, all done while shooting, only a little bit of post processing.

1) Inner solar system as seen from Io

1a I like the converging lines here, but the plants kind of distract from the illusion maybe
i-dms5w2g-M.jpg
1b moving the short exposure layer to another spot. feels a bit like cheating, but never moved the camera.
i-G5dsWtg-M.jpg

2) Sun in a sun- I tried to clone out the plants in the lower right, I didn't have enough clouds to work with, and I tried to crop out the branches, but I didn't like any other crops i tried. I tried to silhouette the metal work because the only angle i could get this, at this time of year, was across the back of the metalwork.
i-FZzcrqx-M.jpg

Any thoughts on the illusory nature of these images, or the image quality of any of them?

Thanks!
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Prefer the crop in #1b, though find the light blue line distracting. Can see what trying to show (what the Sun, etc would look like from Io) but not sure if is an optical illusion.
    Of images prefer #2 especially way have the sun coming through the sun ornament, but again don't see as an optical illusion.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    torrbrae wrote: »
    Prefer the crop in #1b, though find the light blue line distracting. Can see what trying to show (what the Sun, etc would look like from Io) but not sure if is an optical illusion.
    Of images prefer #2 especially way have the sun coming through the sun ornament, but again don't see as an optical illusion.

Thanks for the feedback. The first two are actually a shot of Jupiter and the Galilean moons setting behind the mountains. But with a small aperture, it makes Jupiter looks like a sun.....something different from objective reality....an illusion (at least in my mind). I guess it's like a joke, if you have to explain it, it probably isn't very good.

I'm usually way off in left field when i get a chance or an idea to enter the challenges....
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.