Options

#92 Last Minute Attempt--Does it Work?

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
edited December 26, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Christmas activities kept me from trying anything until today. I wasn't able to pull off my original idea, so I went with this somewhat cheesy attempt. The nickel surrounded by the dimes is supposed to look larger than the nickel surrounded by the quarters. Does it?

Which version do you like best?

#1 Which Nickel is Larger? Color
i-KC3ctm5-L.jpg

2. Black & white version 1
i-VPCtvJV-L.jpg

3. Black & White version 2
i-PRcjRJj-L.jpg

Thanks,
Sherry

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    For me, the 3rd one works best. The nickel on the right definitely appears smaller best in that version, to my eyes! thumb.gif:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Thank you so much, Don. I think I also like the black & white version better, but my hubby likes the blue and my daughter likes the one with the dark black background. They got my head spinning....eek7.gif

Thanks again.

Sherry
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    They all work as optical illusions. I prefer the black bg or the white bg.

I do wish there was something else in the frame (not sure what) for added "oomph."
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Mark, thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean about needing 'something' to give it umph. I tried different colored backgrounds and that just didn't do it either. I think it really needs a border or something. ne_nau.gif I have precious little time to try to figure it out though.

Thanks again,
    Sherry
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    I'm not seeing a size difference... maybe a different perspective? I don't know... maybe I need to put my glasses on. Laughing.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Well, of course the nickels are the same size, but it the one on the left is supposed to 'look' bigger. My daughter said once the brain realizes that both nickels are in fact the exact same, it is hard to see the illusion because the brain knows better. I guess it would have worked better with plain disks instead of coins but I had to use what I had available!

Here is a version with a border. Does the border help it?

i-6gbkpqC-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    I think the border makes no difference.

The illusion might work better if it were not a nickel in the middle. Our brains are trained to recognise the nickel and the illusion does not work as well.

Great idea!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    I cloned out the nickels and replaced them with a solid color. Does this make it easier to see the illusion or does it look funny to have coins around a solid colored circle?

Color:
    i-FqWxgw2-L.jpg

Black & White
    i-gkp3Tq6-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 26, 2011
    The dots in the middle are better. However you might want to either make both with no shadow or both with a drop shadow. As it is the right has shadow and the left does not. Also if a reshoot were possible, maybe put color gels over your lighting to give it pazzaz?
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Thank you Joyce. I used natural light for this, but...I added a filter in ps and I think it does look a lot better now.

I went ahead and loaded this one into the challenge gallery.
    i-s6QPcC8-L.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I am appreciative of all the last-minute help tonight.

Sherry