*ENTRY* Thread DSS #93 (Old or New) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited January 9, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #93

Welcome to Round #93 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, December 26th, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, January 9th 2012, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Old or New

With the passing of 2011 into the new year of 2012, it is time to either reflect on the old or look to the new.
You are not restricted to using the new or old year as a theme. You may choose to represent anything that says "old" or "new" to you.
As usual it is best to avoid using both themes together in the same image as this tends to water down the visual message.

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I am So glad you mentioned the Using of Both titles in one image, I often see people that do this, and I agree, its takes something away . I like picking one or the other. Cant wait to shoot for this one. Happy new year to All.
  • johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    "As usual it is best to avoid using both themes together in the same image as this tends to water down the visual message".

Playing Devil's Advocate here I suppose both could be included if the message of the image was the contrast between old and new? Not that that is how I'm thinking right now, but it could be a powerful photo if done well
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    johnloguk wrote: »
    "As usual it is best to avoid using both themes together in the same image as this tends to water down the visual message".

Playing Devil's Advocate here I suppose both could be included if the message of the image was the contrast between old and new? Not that that is how I'm thinking right now, but it could be a powerful photo if done well

There are always exceptions. I have seen in the past a double theme work very well, usually when this happens it is unintentional. The suggestion was made not to restrict anyone's creativity but to try and coax you to concentrate on one or the other. If someone has an idea that works then go for it.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    HDR and EXIF
    Hi Sean,

Just wondering what protocol is for EXIF in HDR images. Would you like a link to all the exposures used to create the image, or is the embedd EXIF enough, if it contains the date and time?
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited January 5, 2012
    billseye wrote: »
    Hi Sean,

Just wondering what protocol is for EXIF in HDR images. Would you like a link to all the exposures used to create the image, or is the embedd EXIF enough, if it contains the date and time?

Because an HDR image is the same content just at different exposures it is not necessary to show the Exif info for each exposure. As long as the uploaded jpg has the required embedded information it is acceptable.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    We don't need to specify "old" or "new" do we? Not when the subject is obviously old or new?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited January 6, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    We don't need to specify "old" or "new" do we? Not when the subject is obviously old or new?

If you need to specify then it would likely be because your visual message is weak. ne_nau.gif
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Hi Sean,

The image I uploaded, "Aged and Weather-Worn", was taken with a new camera that I messed up setting the time on. I set it at 7pm, and instead of 19:00 I had 7:00... thus the photo I took shows it was taken at 10pm (obviously not) and on the 7th, when it was the morning of the 8th. I just wanted to let you know why the EXIF info may look odd. If it is a problem, I understand.

Thanks,
    Donna
    edited January 9, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    I just wanted to let you know why the EXIF info may look odd.

Since the dates still fall within the time period, odd time or not it still is all good. Thanks for checking.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Sean, can you give me a ruling on the border on the image I'm working on. I put it up for critique here. For me, it's simple and a single color, but you're the boss.

thanks,
    Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
    edited January 9, 2012
    Sean, can you give me a ruling on the border on the image I'm working on. I put it up for critique here. For me, it's simple and a single color, but you're the boss.

thanks,
    Chris

The border in your example is fine. thumb.gif
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Thanks
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.