Tallest sand dune in North America

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited December 29, 2011 in Landscapes
Of all places Idaho...has the tallest dune in North America. Bruneau Sand Dunes..just a single long sand dune in the middle of nowhere.

900D705418-2.jpg

950D705341-2-2newedited-2.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I like the b/w version of this. Great time of day for those shadows upping the contrast of the ridge. And here I didn't know there was any sand in Idaho ne_nau.gif
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I also prefer the B&W, for two reasons. One is that there is not much color anyway--the image is mostly tonal variation, and the B&W highlights that. The second is the that the B&W image has (in my eyes) a much more interesting composition. I think if you cropped a very small amount off the left, and top, it might be even nicer. But in any case, a very nice image.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 27, 2011
    Very nice, Zoomer. It's difficult finding good compositions in large monolith dunes, but you did well. I really like the contrast of the blue sky against the dune in the first one, as well as the leading lines of the waves in the sand.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    Nice work, really like your compositions.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    Can't pick a favorite--I like both of them. Haven't seen Bruneau in a very long time--thanks for another Idaho memory! You're making me want to return. :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • D90markD90mark Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    These are both really nice. I find the first one to be my favorite. The contrast of the sky against the dune and the shadows is nice. The ripples in the sand and the edge of the dune do a nice job leading you to the peak.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 28, 2011
    So cool to learn about things in the US you never knew existed!

I also prefer your B&W, very nice contrast. To be honest, I think that might also be because I detect some "HDR" in the color version?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    Thanks, appreciate the comments.
    Yeah pretty weird that this is in Idaho, but half the state is desert so guess it makes sense.
    No HDR, contrast adjustments. It was 15 degrees and there is some frost on the dune in the shadow.
    In 1 if you look really close you can see where a coyote ran out over the top just a few seconds before, I took it out of the black and white version. There were a lot of coyotes in this area, seemed every little clump of grass had mouse tracks all around it.
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Yeah pretty weird that this is in Idaho, but half the state is desert so guess it makes sense.

The folks at Great Sand Dunes National Park think that their 750 foot dunes are bigger than Bruneau's 470 feet. Many other dunes in NA are also over 470 feet. Bruneau is reported to be the biggest lonely-sorta ("single-structured") dune at:
    http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/geog/parks/bruneau/bruneau.htm

With only 19 people per square mile, Idaho -is- big on lonely-sorta.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    Beautiful shots. My favorite is the black and white. I've heard of sand dunes in Idaho, but I've never seen them.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Very nice! Like the monochrome one the best. It highlights the light/shadow and patterns the best, and as stated above, has a better overall composition that invites the eye to explore more than just the central tip of the dune. It has a gorgeous artsy/abstract feel to it. thumb.gif