Options

Assistant photographer

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited January 3, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Don't know if this belongs here, but I was wondering how and what I would need to do to get an assistant photographer position in my area? Any advice?
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Comments

• Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    Googling Assistant Photographer or variations should get you enough information to get an overview. It's pretty much the same as looking for any job. It might be best to have simple calling cards made up and then visit studios. Introduce yourself, tell them why you're there and then ask them your question above. A personal visit usually is interpreted as showing more initiative and interest than a phone call but taking a portfolio with you on a cold call might be felt to be too agressive and it's ok not to. If there's no opening or/and you don't get an interview, leave a card and make an appointment for an interview if you can meet their requirements. It's important to get along with the people in the studio. If you take a camera with you, don't drop it while you're there. It's best to be able to know and like what a studio does; if you don't like what they do, it's not really a good idea to apply for work there.
  • Options
    justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    Thank you for the advice
    :-)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Just like any other job

Resume
    Portfolio
    Call
    send it in if they are hiring.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Let me add something: don't be lazy - don't email or contact a studio via website. If it's close by then stop IN. Second best option is to call. Trying to get a job with a small business is different than with a large company. Don't use the same approach for both. Remember: if you are really talking about being a second shooter as opposed to an internship - you need to demonstrate you already have the photography skills for the type of work the studio is doing. So make sure you have a printed portfolio demonstrating those skills. Your vacation shots or bug macros aren't good. If the studio is doing portrait work, your landscape photos aren't relevant - your portrait shots are. Expectations for a second shooter are different than for an intern. If you don't have that relevant experience to demonstrate then you really need to be looking for an internship instead - which may be unpaid.