The Tim Bits Tournament

Comments

• northcoastnorthcoast Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Bailiejo,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. That's a great age for hockey - my oldest started at the age of 4.

I think you'll find the people here very informative and friendly...

I'm still learning to shoot hockey and I'll pass along a few tips that the fine people here have told me in the past:
    1) Shoot tight and crop thighter
    2) Face, puck and action make for the best shots
    3) 1/320sec shutter or faster for this age
    4) Set aperture wide open
    5) ISO 3200 is fine with a lot of white ice
    6) Your pictures will be 1-1.7 stops darker in any auto shooting/metering mode because of the ice
    7) White balance is easier when the exposure in the camera is set correctly
    8) Shooting in RAW will give more options for post processing
    9) Shoot often
    10) Have fun...

Your picture looked very underexposed and I did notice on you SmugMug site that you are using a Nikon D5100. I have read that @ ISO6400, the D5100 gives class-leading performance. All of the pics I viewed with the kids on the ice were at ISO1600. Also, most of your game shots were at f5 or slower and the shutter was around 1/200 sec. So I will assume that the camera was in one of the auto/program modes. I do think that you would be pleased to know that with a few changes in settings your camera can produce better exposed pictures.

Best regards!
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    I'd agree with most of the tips above, esp. over-exposing. I run 2/3 of a stop over, most hockey rinks. I'd not endorse RAW without knowing your goals, however.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    northcoast wrote: »
    Bailiejo,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. That's a great age for hockey - my oldest started at the age of 4.

I think you'll find the people here very informative and friendly...

I'm still learning to shoot hockey and I'll pass along a few tips that the fine people here have told me in the past:
    1) Shoot tight and crop thighter
    2) Face, puck and action make for the best shots
    3) 1/320sec shutter or faster for this age
    4) Set aperture wide open
    5) ISO 3200 is fine with a lot of white ice
    6) Your pictures will be 1-1.7 stops darker in any auto shooting/metering mode because of the ice
    7) White balance is easier when the exposure in the camera is set correctly
    8) Shooting in RAW will give more options for post processing
    9) Shoot often
    10) Have fun...

Your picture looked very underexposed and I did notice on you SmugMug site that you are using a Nikon D5100. I have read that @ ISO6400, the D5100 gives class-leading performance. All of the pics I viewed with the kids on the ice were at ISO1600. Also, most of your game shots were at f5 or slower and the shutter was around 1/200 sec. So I will assume that the camera was in one of the auto/program modes. I do think that you would be pleased to know that with a few changes in settings your camera can produce better exposed pictures.

Best regards!
    Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I'm brand new to photography and not familiar with all of the suggestions you made, however, I have signed up for a class starting Jan. 11. I have written down your settings and will go back to the arena and give them a try. There is never a shortage of hockey games around here.
    edited January 1, 2012
    I'd agree with most of the tips above, esp. over-exposing. I run 2/3 of a stop over, most hockey rinks. I'd not endorse RAW without knowing your goals, however.

thanks... not sure what 2/3 of a top over means, however, I will learn.
  • john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    When you photograph snow or ice the camera is fooled and tries to expose the ice to 18% grey. In order to counteract this you set your exposure a stop or so over normal. In my case I overexpose by a stop and a half. The light in most arenas is poor. When shooting hockey I set my iso to 1600 up to 3200. My f stop at f2.8 and shutter speed to at least 1/400. Like you I am still learning and have not yet posted to this forum. I have some pics on photobucket Login is winterhawks. Take a peek if you like.j
    edited January 2, 2012
    john l wrote: »
    When you photograph snow or ice the camera is fooled and tries to expose the ice to 18% grey. In order to counteract this you set your exposure a stop or so over normal. In my case I overexpose by a stop and a half. The light in most arenas is poor. When shooting hockey I set my iso to 1600 up to 3200. My f stop at f2.8 and shutter speed to at least 1/400. Like you I am still learning and have not yet posted to this forum. I have some pics on photobucket Login is winterhawks. Take a peek if you like.j

Just signed on to Photobucket however not sure how to find your pics.
  • john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Hi! Go to photobucket Login will be winterhawks and the password will be mickey83. You should not require the password. These kids are 4 to 10 years old.j