Toby in the Fall Leaves

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited October 28, 2005 in People
Hello,
This is not my dog but a neighbor's which we take care of when he's at work. I find it hard to take pictures of her because 1) it takes a long shutter speed to capture her in dark setting because of her fur 2) She does not like the camera and it takes the promise of treats to make her look at you.
I really like this snap I got today why trying to find challenge entries for the nature's color's. Why I don't have anything for that, I feel like I finally got a really nice picture of this dog. What do you think?
Ashley
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    I have all the same problems with my black lab. I finally learned some PS tricks that make her fur look good, but the camera shy (and impatient) part, well there really is no easy fix.
    If not now, when?
  • AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Ashley and Rutt
    Ashley...

My middle name is also Ashley...and I lived in Halifax for about 6 years.. am originally from PEI...
    You definitely caught the hazel eyes and the texture of the black hair with the hint of middle age +, sprouting around the nose, while avoiding the dreaded blurrrr from slow shutter... good one!

Rutt,

I have two black dogs and a white dog (as you will see)...I would very much appreciate your PS tweak technique to enhance black dog photos....would be especially helpful in my shots that involve all 3 pooches

China (chill'n in the shade)
    complete.jpg

Bugsy (keep'n track of swim'n seagull's)
    eyerszd111.jpg

Hunter (chill'n under the orange grove..close to 100 F, on that day last summer)
    211stmpdrszd.jpg
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    That is a nice photo. After taking 1000's of pics of my pups I think I have black dog pics down pat. A few tips... 1. use fill flash when possible 2. On a normal day use -ev usually -1 to 2 to get a black dog looking black. Remember your camera will meter grey so to get a black dog looking black you need to compensate..
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Why I don't have anything for that, I feel like I finally got a really nice picture of this dog. What do you think?
    Ashley
    I think you are right, its a very good picture!
    Maybe you could rework to reflectio in the eyes a bit in postprocessing.
    I think I can see you in his right eye. :):

I love the crop and the background!

Regards,
    Andreas