edited January 4, 2012 in Street and Documentary
i-d5QgGPJ-XL.jpg

i-pNZxpfx-XL.jpg

i-GbRBR68-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Shades of Elliot Erwitt Museum Watching here but I'm not sure to what extent you're going for the same humour/wtf approach?

Definitely some fertile ground worthy of further exploration.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    Hmm... Cantor Museum

#3 a good one. those chairs were designed in the 30's (when those folks were born)
    Rags
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    Interesting set # 3 stands out for me .
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    Composition in #1 is excellent, Rainbow. I like it. The others... well... The point of Elliott Erwitt's museum pictures was the interaction of people with the displays.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 30, 2011
    I like both #1 and #3. In #1, the girl seems to be about as thin as the skeleton, which provides a nice linkage. 3 is well composed and there is a thoughtfulness and sense of tranquility about the scene that is appealing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamoBikerSamoBiker Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    I'm a fan of #3. I like the composition with both paintings which puts the people slightly off center. And I've gotta admit the crazy hair on the right is awesome.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Shades of Elliot Erwitt Museum Watching here but I'm not sure to what extent you're going for the same humour/wtf approach?

Definitely some fertile ground worthy of further exploration.

In response, I offer this shot to supplement the others:

i-RNmFrXL-L.jpg

I offer it to raise the question of which, if any, of the people in the photos are live and which are "works of art". Of course, "David" is one of the best known works of art in the world...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Hmm... Cantor Museum

#3 a good one. those chairs were designed in the 30's (when those folks were born)
    lensmole wrote: »
    Interesting set # 3 stands out for me .
    SamoBiker wrote: »
    I'm a fan of #3. I like the composition with both paintings which puts the people slightly off center. And I've gotta admit the crazy hair on the right is awesome.

Thanks! It is nice that the museum does so much of the work of composing a pleasing image before one arrives with a camera... :D
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Composition in #1 is excellent, Rainbow. I like it. The others... well... The point of Elliott Erwitt's museum pictures was the interaction of people with the displays.

Thanks! I did not know of Elliott Erwitt until you and B. D. agreed that he shot dogs. Now I find out via Syncopation and you that he visited museums on his downtime from Magnum and put out a book of the shots he took! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    Molsondog wrote: »
    For wherever reasons, I'm a fan of the idea that a photo should tell a story. Of these three, the last one hits the mark. Well done. Not so much for the first two, though.

Thanks for commenting. I posted #2 to see if anyone would realize that "David" was art and not people...

Street/PJ is better with a story, but so much of photography does not have a story, especially much of what passes as "art".
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    I like both #1 and #3. In #1, the girl seems to be about as thin as the skeleton, which provides a nice linkage. 3 is well composed and there is a thoughtfulness and sense of tranquility about the scene that is appealing. thumb.gif

Thanks, Richard! You always come to mind when I try to compose shots using the setting more than the people as the subject. A near empty museum certainly fit here...
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Thx for posting the second shot of "David".

I'm hoping I wasn't the only one thinking he was real at first..... headscratch.gif

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »

I'm hoping I wasn't the only one thinking he was real at first..... headscratch.gif

yes you were rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 4, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    No, you weren't. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »

bfjr wrote: »
    Richard wrote: »
    No, you weren't. lol3.gif

It is a really well done piece.

I probably should have posted in the "People" forum so that they could have suggested better lighting and skin smoothing for this portrait... :D

BTW, I wasn't certain if the couple in the third shot were real or art until the guy turned his head between my first and second shots.