Why are some BayPhoto products not available at SM?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    We've got to do some more engineering to be able to offer everything that Bay has. Stay tuned, things are in the works. Thanks!
  • RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    I really wish that their license plates were available to us. Bay ROES is a PITA to use :(
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • lancehopsonlancehopson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    We've got to do some more engineering to be able to offer everything that Bay has. Stay tuned, things are in the works. Thanks!

Thanks Andy. I'm guessing that you (or they) can't give me a time frame? To be honest it's too late already. Soccer and baseball seasons start gearing up in January and first of February and I'm already talking to coaches about team shoots.

If I have to order these prints myself through Bay (take the time to collect the orders, place the orders, use my own cash/credit to pay for the orders, then wait on the order to ship to me, and then deliver the orders to 100+ families) they WHY am I paying for SmugMug?

To be honest the "stay tuned" and "it's coming" and "we have big plans" is starting to make me think I need to take my 3 websites somewhere else because Smug's developers (or management) are to slow to react to new products and new technologies.

Please don't take this personal but my frustration level with Smug is at the tipping point and Smug's actions (or lack of) are pushing me to find a new host after nearly 3 years. I just don't understand how SM has let themselves fall so far behind in the photography hosting market -- and only to tell it's customers "Just wait... it's coming." We don't need "coming". The pros need someone who will get it DONE.
    edited December 31, 2011

BTW... I was reading through the forum to see how other pros have worked around this problem and I am seeing posts that go back to 2009. I would love it if someone at SM can explain why a problem such as a lack of products can be pushed off to the side for re-engineering for 2 years.
    edited December 31, 2011

You know... just forget it. I'm canceling my SM websites and moving to Zenfolio. I may not be able to customize as much there but at least I will have the FULL range of products to sell and a better selling interface. PLEASE feel free to pass this along to "Baldy" and SM execs.

We pros may just be rats fattening Smug's pockets, but at least the rats know when to abandon a sinking ship.

Goodbye
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    Hi Lance, thanks for the posts. I do understand your frustration and your desire to have these additional products. I wish we could engineer things faster for requests like this. I can promise you that nobody here at SmugMug is sitting back with fat pockets - we all pour our hearts and souls into this company every single day. We've got a giant list of feature requests from pros and all customers, and this is one of the many on the list. If I could wave a wand....

If there's any possible way we can get you to stay with us, and if you'd like to discuss that, please write to me directly ATTN: Andy at the help desk. Thanks.
    edited January 8, 2012
    Hi Lance, thanks for the posts. I do understand your frustration and your desire to have these additional products. I wish we could engineer things faster for requests like this. I can promise you that nobody here at SmugMug is sitting back with fat pockets - we all pour our hearts and souls into this company every single day. We've got a giant list of feature requests from pros and all customers, and this is one of the many on the list. If I could wave a wand....

If there's any possible way we can get you to stay with us, and if you'd like to discuss that, please write to me directly ATTN: Andy at the help desk. Thanks.

Andy, I thank you for all your help thumb.gif (and the great guys in this blog thumb.gif) over the past 2 years, but it's a done deal. I can't stay with Smug. To be honest, Smug is 2 years behind the photography hosting curve. And though it is not finished yet, in one week of configuring I have created a new site that's better on Zen than the one that took me a month to create on Smug. And in case you think I'm lying, here are both sites.

SmugMug ==> www.lancehopsonphoto.com
    Zenfolio ==> lancehopsonphoto.zenfolio.com

Both sites are active as of right now. However, on Jan 18th I will be redirecting my domain to the new site and the Smug one will be deleted.

Also, please pass this message along to "Baldy" and the rest of Smug management:
    Gentlemen, while I do believe your heart is in the right place and Smug is truely a place who loves photographers, your future would be best served if you create yourselves a Zenfolio trial account and have a look. Afterward, do not walk... RUN as fast as you can toward building a support structure, user interface, and net-framework like this -- and do it in 6 months. Yes, it can be done. I am a photographer, but I also work in the IT industry and NOTHING should ever take a year or two years to implement. Especially if it is a request that MOST of your users are asking for. I wish you the best, Lance.