Options

Wedding Photographer Backup Network

RFPRFP Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited January 2, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everyone,

I am living and working in Northern Virginia/Washington DC Metro area. I know a few other professionals out here, but I am looking to join a network of some kind that I can use as a resource in case of emergency. For example, when I fell and sprained my ankle right before a wedding last month--I'd like to have been able to call a colleague and ask them to sub for me (with the client's permission).

All I can find so far are dues-paying organizations that offer continuing education and newsletters. If any of you are from this area or have suggestions on how to connect with actual people, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Id suggest be-friending some. I work with about 3-5 photographers in my area that will come in and work with me. While I might not trust them to do a full wedding 100% without my associate photographer. It still seems like we have a good communication. some of those in the area you live in might think they are on a high-horse like this one here who think's shes top dog and won't budge at all to help you. And when they need help, they wont call you because they have their own clique.

But I'd definitely try to befriend some that you are in the industry with. Groups are good to sometimes its nice to join, THere's also some with PPA I believe that have a network or other local group like you mentioned
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Rachael, are you familiar with the Northern Virginia Photographic Society (NVPS?) It's a pretty congenial group, and I think the annual dues are only around $35.00. I'll also send you a PM.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Grand Idea. My ex-wife (an absolutely irritatingly gifted photographer) and I had booked a wedding for a date that turned out to be five days after my hernia surgery.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net