Options

USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 Memory Card Transfer Speeds

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited January 31, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I tried various methods of copying 100 photo files totaling around 1gb from a Sandisk Extreme 30MB/S card to my computer.

If you are using Windows you can see the transfer rate in MB/s (megabytes per second) when you select "more details".

Results varied from a low of 12MB/s to high 22MB/s. I copied files to a 7,200 rpm drive using a SATA 3 connection.

When I used a USB 2.0 card reader in a USB 2.0 port it registered 12MB/s

When I used a USB 3.0 card reader in a USB 3.0 port it registered 22MB/s.

So a USB 3.0 port using a USB 3.0 card reader is considerably faster.

Loading photos directly from a memory card into LR from a USB 3.0 card reader and a USB 3.0 port is visibly faster too.

I expect this would be much faster using memory cards that go up 100MB/s.

Anybody out therre using a card that fast? If so, what are you transfer speeds in MB/s?

Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    80-90MB/sec average with both Lexar 400x and 600x CF cards on eSATA or USB 3.0 here. 400x cards tend to be able to read as fast since 400x is just the write speed rating. My HDDs speed caps at about 90MB/sec so it is possible I might be able to go faster if they could write faster.

Also, your USB 2.0 reader could be cheap as well, or the computer's USB capability is limited.... I used to get 25-32MB/sec read speed with my USB 2.0 readers, even with the 133x Transcend CF cards (20MB/sec write rating) For read speeds I'd expect to get a lot more than the rating, not less, out of the 30MB/sec rated card for downloading photos. At least 30-40MB/sec.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    I just copied 114 MB of RAWs from my Sandisk Extreme III Class 6 SDHC card to my 7200 rpm drive. I was getting 18MB/S minimum.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, USB 2.0.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2011
    80-90MB/sec average with both Lexar 400x and 600x CF cards on eSATA or USB 3.0 here. 400x cards tend to be able to read as fast since 400x is just the write speed rating. My HDDs speed caps at about 90MB/sec so it is possible I might be able to go faster if they could write faster.

Also, your USB 2.0 reader could be cheap as well, or the computer's USB capability is limited.... I used to get 25-32MB/sec read speed with my USB 2.0 readers, even with the 133x Transcend CF cards (20MB/sec write rating) For read speeds I'd expect to get a lot more than the rating, not less, out of the 30MB/sec rated card for downloading photos. At least 30-40MB/sec.

Thanks for your comments. I noted that the 600x has "(90MB/s) minimum guaranteed sustained read and write speeds" and 400x 40MB/S.
    Phil
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    There is software out there to test cards like this for read and write speeds. I'm not sure what is current and will work with 64bit OS's but I've used ATTO benchmark software in the past to test removable media and also the card readers. Gives your output something like this:

275695480_xHHca-O-LB.jpg

Also, this website tends to stay reasonably up to date on cards and card readers. Can be some big differences with the right chipset in your card reader.

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/

• Options
    edited December 31, 2011
    Newsy wrote: »
    There is software out there to test cards like this for read and write speeds. I'm not sure what is current and will work with 64bit OS's but I've used ATTO benchmark software in the past to test removable media and also the card readers. Gives your output something like this:

Also, this website tends to stay reasonably up to date on cards and card readers. Can be some big differences with the right chipset in your card reader.

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/

Thanks for info. I may try out the benchmark software. While the link to cardspeed site is not up to date as it does not show USB 3.0 devices it is worth reviewing.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2011
    OK I just copied over 7GB of RAW photos to my 7200 rpm HD, using the Sandisk Extreme III card mentioned in my previous post and a Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0 CF/SD card reader. My speeds started at around 19-24 MB/S and then hovered around 16-17 MB/S.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2011
    OK I just copied over 7GB of RAW photos to my 7200 rpm HD, using the Sandisk Extreme III card mentioned in my previous post and a Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0 CF/SD card reader. My speeds started at around 19-24 MB/S and then hovered around 16-17 MB/S.

Yep, I forgot to mention that the speeds I listed were after the initial readings.
    Phil
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    This was one of the best card readers ever made. I don't know why Sandisk discontinued it. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    It's been working great for me for years. IIRC the replacement had only a CF slot. Seems like a downgrade to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    It did, but it enabled udma from what I recall.

I just looked for these and the prices are unreal. They're listing at 2x what I bought it for. eek7.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Just for comparison with your data: I get about 40MB/s out of a SanDisk Firewire 800 Cardreader with a Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB Card.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Just for comparison with your data: I get about 40MB/s out of a SanDisk Firewire 800 Cardreader with a Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB Card.

Good info. Both the reader and the card are rated at 40MB/s, so you are transferring at the limits of both devices.
    Phil
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Good info. Both the reader and the card are rated at 40MB/s, so you are transferring at the limits of both devices.

Actually the reader has a theoretical limit of 100MB/s (FW800 is 800Mbit/s) and the card 45MB/s.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Actually the reader has a theoretical limit of 100MB/s (FW800 is 800Mbit/s) and the card 45MB/s.

You are correct that the limits of Firewire 800 is high - "The full IEEE 1394b specification supports data rates up to 3200 Mbit/s (i.e., 400 megabytes/s)" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire."

I think you will find that the data transfer rate for those items listed are: card reader is 45 MB/s (See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1056&message=39628132) and the memory card is 40MB/s.

While there are a number of components to consider in transfer rates from a memory card to a harddrive, SSD or computer memory, the two main limiting factors, when talking USB 3.0 and Firewire 800, are the data transfer rates of the memory card and card readers.

Memory cards being the slower of the two. The fastest from Lexar or Sandisk max out at about 100 MB/s.

So, in my limited research I think the fastest transfer rate is going to be around 100MB/s.

Anybody else have other ideas on this subject?

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    Data transfer speeds are always limited by the slowest link in the chain, whether it be computer, card, reader, destination drive, etc.

That being said, just be sure to keep everything on the same speed level. And sometimes different interfaces help. I have some older Maxtor OneTouch external drives that are both USB2.0 and Firewire400. Since my laptop has firewire on it, I connect the drives that way, and have found faster speeds when doing a lot of concurrent copies from cards to drives.

I don't know what the current state of sata readers are, but those should be much, much quicker as the bandwidth is higher and the protocol overhead less. I bought an cf to ide reader back in the day and it would get almost 1mb/sec on an old Pentium Pro 200 running win95. Having an sata reader copying directly to an ssd should be blazing fast.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »

I don't know what the current state of sata readers are, but those should be much, much quicker as the bandwidth is higher and the protocol overhead less.

I don't see any sata readers available. I think most are USB 3.0 because of its speed, cost and availability.

If you know of any, let us know.

I think you will find though the limiting factor is going to be the transfer rate of the memory card when transferring to memory or SSD.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    Here's two from the company I bought my IDE readers from:
    http://www.addonics.com/products/aeiddsau.php
    http://www.addonics.com/products/udd2sa.php

The cards are definitely going to be the max limit, but a lot of times overhead is what's keeping them from going as fast as they can. These sata readers eliminate all the driver layers needed for usb and can increase speed even on the same card.
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Maybe there is another thread for this but...mim not so concerned at how fast my card reader & transfer is ... (I just plug the card in & walk away for a few) Or. Is this purely academic?
    My concern with transfer speed is with my card & camera... How fast... And how many shots can I take before Mr. Camera starts to choke.
    I have a 32mb 600x card but I have never tested its speed other by shooting a burst & seeing/waiting to see how it does ...and it does well... So I win... Yeah...
    Admittedly I am curious as to it's in camera speed... How is that speed benchmarked?
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    When you have thousands of images on multiple cameras/cards, speed does become important.

As far as the camera's benchmark, I dunno if it's benchmarked often. But I know I've found sites that have done this when looking for a specific model of camera and the max write speed. I'd try that and then see how yours compares. You may find that you're buying cards that are many times too fast for your camera. And then you can save money by buying slower cards. thumb.gif
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Admittedly I am curious as to it's in camera speed... How is that speed benchmarked?

Rob Galbraith had a database of camera vs card speeds but it has not been updated in a while. It may give you some key words on which to search for others who keep a current database.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

• Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    To add to my "walk away" comment.... Whenever I shoot, I blast off 600-1700 images at a whack...
    I don't know about the rest of you but... I important from my card directly into LR3... if anything... LR is the bottleneck for me.
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Okay, I'll play.

My test is with 56 RAW files (about 19-21MB each) totaling 1.08GB. I'm copying from the card reader(s) to an SSD drive.

In Windows Explorer
    USB 2: 1 minute 4 seconds

USB 3: 16.5 seconds

In Lightroom
    USB 2: 1 minutes 5 seconds

USB 3: 19.8 seconds
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    Okay, I'll play.

My test is with 56 RAW files (about 19-21MB each) totaling 1.08GB. I'm copying from the card reader(s) to an SSD drive.

In Windows Explorer
    USB 2: 1 minute 4 seconds

USB 3: 16.5 seconds

In Lightroom
    USB 2: 1 minutes 5 seconds

USB 3: 19.8 seconds
    Nice speed improvement. thumb.gif What type of card are you using?
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    Nice speed improvement. thumb.gif What type of card are you using?

Sandisk 45M/sec
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Sandisk 45M/sec
    Hmmm...but according to your USB 3.0 times, it's actually transferring 65MB/sec (1080MB/16.5s). headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Free bandwidth, FTW!
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Free bandwidth, FTW!
    Totally. So is this the Extreme IV series card?
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Cards typically read faster than what they're rated... the ratings are supposed to be write speed
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Cards typically read faster than what they're rated... the ratings are supposed to be write speed
    Interesting. I would've thought they'd put the larger read number to make the marketing look good. Good to see that the important numbers are being emphasized.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Totally. So is this the Extreme IV series card?

The cards are labeled "Extreme Pro"