Options

For you RSE Fans...

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
edited October 28, 2005 in Finishing School
Pixmantec is about to release the commercial version of RawShooter Essentials. RSP (RawShooter Premium) will be priced at $59 US, and is due out very soon.

There is a review at Outback Photo on this very affordable and powerful package.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Pixmantec is about to release the commercial version of RawShooter Essentials. RSP (RawShooter Premium) will be priced at $59 US, and is due out very soon.

There is a review at Outback Photo on this very affordable and powerful package.
    Thanks for the heads up David. A lot of the controls appear very similar to Capture One, I may have to download the trial and compare them for myself.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

I've spent a little time this morning working with the trial version of this program. It looks great. It's faster than either Photoshop or Capture one, the workflow is also very nice. For any of you that have been putting off shooting RAW because of the cost of a program this is your answer. The $59 price is only good until October 31st, then it goes up to $99.
  • Options
    dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    Caution for users of RSE switching to RSP
    I have been using RSE for some time (and have come to prefer it over Capture One), and so I have been looking forward to RSP.

A problem I have experienced is that RSP does not support the same "Appearances" that RSE does. This is fine, since RSP does the same things (and much more) in other ways. However, perhaps as a consequence, when a file previously adjusted with RSE is viewed with RSP, the RSE Appearance setting and effects are lost.

I can recover these by going to the backup of the settings file RSE created (neither RSE nor RSP modify the RAW file itself), but this behavior was unexpected.

The reply (so far) from Michael Tapes at Pixmantec support is, in view of the greater functionality of RSP, this alteration is "A small price to pay." From a my perspective, I appreciate the greater functionality of RSP over RSE, but I think it is unfortunate to have to go back a recover previous work.
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    How would you compare RS(E/P) to ACR CS2?
    Thus far I was only using ACR. I like what it does.
    What are the major advantages of RSE/P?

Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    IMHO, Its Better
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thus far I was only using ACR. I like what it does.
    What are the major advantages of RSE/P?

Thanks!
    When I first started shooting RAW I used Capture One, when Adobe updated their camera RAW in PS CS2 I used it for quite a while, but recently went back to Capture One. After only spending a short time with RSE Pro today I will most likely purchase it and use it for my RAW conversion.

This is only after a short time using it so please keep that in mind, but:
    • It seems significantly faster than ACR
    • IMO the interface is better than both ACR and Capture One.
    • It has both Curves and Levels, and updates the preview much faster than ACR.
    • The workflow feels much better. Just hit the Insert key when you're done and it automatically creates a subfolder in the directory you were working in and converts your image.
    • Converts to TIFF (8 or 16 bit) or JPEG
    • The Vibrance feature is very nice.
    Check out the full review at the link in David's original post and/or even better yet download the free trial.

Let us/me know what you think after trying it out.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    New Trial Version .... I Love It.
    David_S85 wrote:

I have the older one RawShooter and this week they released the new 2006 version which has CURVES !!!!! whoohoooo!!!!! it is very similar to the older version but it does have a few extra things, that I really like.........me I'm not a wonderful editor by any means but it's pretty dang easy to use.

The one thing that caught me out was my failure to understand how to save the pictures once they were edited.....but the nice folks here on the forum soon sorted that out for me.

I'd recommend folks to download the new version it's only valid for 15 days, but gosh its good, it really is........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin