edited January 4, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
599-dissonance--j1583.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    Very, very nice, Walter. I love the composition.clap.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    great shot, great balance.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Thanks Tom, rbt.

Fine art has been liberating for me.
    Anybody can do it.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Love this shot, particularly the texture in the sand. Sweeeet!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 1, 2012
    Good one, Walter. Got a larger version? I suspect I'm missing a lot at this size.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Terrific composition, Walter, with the contrast of sharp and straight diagonal lines. I like this one a lot!

Lauren

EDIT: I meant curved and straight lines.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Absolutely beautiful, Walter!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Very well done (and no damn footprints)....

which dunes Walter
    Rags
    edited January 3, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Love this shot, particularly the texture in the sand. Sweeeet!

Thank you.
    Richard wrote: »
    Good one, Walter. Got a larger version? I suspect I'm missing a lot at this size.

Thanks Richard. I'm tied to this size on the web for awhile. There are issues at this end I've been working to resolve. I think I did a pretty good job bringing out details in the shadows though.
    redleash wrote: »
    Terrific composition, Walter, with the contrast of sharp and straight diagonal lines. I like this one a lot!

Lauren

EDIT: I meant curved and straight lines.

:) Thank you Lauren. The forms in the sand reminded me of choppy wave action. It looked dissonant.
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    Absolutely beautiful, Walter!

Thank you.
    torags wrote: »
    Very well done (and no damn footprints)....

which dunes Walter

Thanks torags. The serendipity is all in the lack of footprints. I would have been happy just showing my grand daughter Mesquite Flats Dunes in Death Valley for the first time. We picked her up in Las Vegas and drove out through Beatty coming into the valley during the last part of a windstorm. We spent the night in Stovepipe Wells and an hour before dawn I had the then 15-year old girl out on the dunes. The light on the pristine sand was perfect. We both share a memory on that sunrise, and some cool images.
    Anybody can do it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Belatedly, I agree, this is a terrific shot.
    edited January 3, 2012
    If you get out there again Walter, take your granddaughter out to the Darwin Falls. It's an easy 1mi hike out, she might be delighted with the adventure

Death Valley, can you believe it?
    http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Landscapes/0911-Darwin-FallsMesquite/10427413_xb3W9R#722843804_r7PVF-A-LB
    Rags
    edited January 4, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Belatedly, I agree, this is a terrific shot.

Thanks Cornflake. Belated is fine. I have 5-6 years before this image made it to here.
    torags wrote: »
    If you get out there again Walter, take your granddaughter out to the Darwin Falls. It's an easy 1mi hike out, she might be delighted with the adventure

Death Valley, can you believe it?
    http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Landscapes/0911-Darwin-FallsMesquite/10427413_xb3W9R#722843804_r7PVF-A-LB

Nice photos. I've been to the falls, she hasn't. Not that I haven't spoiled her with hauling her back and forth over God's desert creation, but she's older now and on her own. I'll see her again in February before she goes to Japan for 2 years (Navy). This session or one we had in Havasu Wildlife Refuge where we paddled a canoe into Topock Marsh for sunrise are but two of my most favorite memories. The 3 oldest of my grandkids have been hardened like wild seeds. I'd drag them all over with me, one at a time. This last summer I did a rite of passage with my 17-year old grand daughter (3rd oldest). I took her out desert camping in 100+ heat. There's a trick to it so they don't melt or die. We've developed close relationships through these overnighters and numerous other day trips.

So that's what I get. The last few weeks I've been thinking about what I've gotten out of photography, so, sorry about the rambling.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited January 4, 2012
    "So that's what I get. The last few weeks I've been thinking about what I've gotten out of photography, so, sorry about the rambling."

Not rambling, just a tangential benefit of photography, thanks for the post - It made me feel good
    Rags