Options

DSS 93 -- The Old Cotton Mill

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited January 5, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
This challenge inspired me to trespass on the grounds of an abandoned cotton mill (I was fully prepared to drop Sean's name if I had gotten caught). Plenty of old in there. Now I need help deciding which to offer for the challenge...

6610166649_2ac79912f5_b.jpg

6610165961_29e143c2c5_b.jpg

6610165529_5e5593a96f_b.jpg

6610164693_9a67b6a19a_b.jpg

6610163273_a32ae0d1bf_b.jpg

Thanks...
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Greg, I like #1, but maybe it's a little too busy? I like the simplicity of #5, but the orange thing in the lower right distracts me just a little.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,195 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    I also like #1. It's a little busy, but that doesn't bother me. There's a lot to see there and it's all pretty interesting. I like the old dead vines creeping around the window. The others are nice, but just don't grab me like #1 does.

Sherry
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    I'm gonna be the odd ball... I really like #4.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    I like the light and color in #4 but it does not look "OLD" enough. #1 with the vines says "old" to me more than the others. P.S. I have been eyeing some abandoned properties (Old Farm Houses) for the same purpose... But have not yet had enough Guts to enter!
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    They sure are pretty, Greg! For the purpose of the theme, I think 3 & 5 for me....the emptiness of 3 has just enough human presence left that it speaks and #5 has a gorgeous dust patina....
    I'm thinking along the same lines as you for this challenge, but my images are nearly so colorful!
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Hi Greg...

What a fun location! There are things to like in each one:

1 - The windows, vines and exceptional DOF all work together to create a stong overall impression of old.
    2 - I really like the pastel interior support poles contrasted wtih the vibrant orange brick. Another nice effect!
    3 - As sweetharmony has noted, this one has the most evidence of human presence and by extension, recent abandonment. It evokes a story...
    4 - I think I may like this one most. There's lots of points of interest (the exhaust fan, the puddle, the blue door and it's associated shaft of light, the palette and the floor texture) but it's not overwhelming or too busy. I really like this one!
    5 - I like the off-vertical line of the dark electrical conduit juxaposed with the support slats on the door. I'm bothered by the intensity of the highlights in the center of the doorway, diagonal on the ramp and on the item at the lower right, though.

Very nice set!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug