Winter Trees

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited January 7, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
mountains-12-11-106-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Nice shot, Tom. Simple subject done very well!

Happy New Year, my friend!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    I love these kinds of shots! I think it's beautiful. I bet it would look great cropped square ...just about where the last tree on the right is? Though wonderful as is. But, on my monitor its a bit fuzzy on the right side?
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    Nice shot, Tom. Simple subject done very well!

Happy New Year, my friend!

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your kind comment.

Happy New Year to you too, dear friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited January 1, 2012
    Eia wrote: »
    I love these kinds of shots! I think it's beautiful. I bet it would look great cropped square ...just about where the last tree on the right is? Though wonderful as is. But, on my monitor its a bit fuzzy on the right side?

It's great to hear from you, Eia. Thanks for the nice words.

I think your idea about the cropping is very good. I didn't go square....tried to keep the original ratio....but I do believe it helped the picture. The softness on the right side ( improved now because of the crop ) is a bit of a mystery. It was a bitter cold day and I wasn't using a tripod. My initial thought was that some camera shake was present....and it may be a contributing factor....but I would think that the effect would be across the frame. I was shooting wide open on a relatively wide angle lens so the softness is most likely the result of a little lens distortion at the edges. In any event, your monitor was giving you an accurate picture.

I have re-posted the picture showing the crop. Thanks for your input.

Happy New Year!

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Howdy Tom,

Happy New Year!!!

Sure looks cold and foggy there.

Any Snow in the Mountains Yet???

All the Best for the New Year!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    I love the look of trees in winter. You captured the eeriness, emptiness and the cold of winter with this photo.
    edited January 2, 2012
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Happy New Year!!!

Sure looks cold and foggy there.

Any Snow in the Mountains Yet???

All the Best for the New Year!!!

Cold and foggy for sure. I'm back in Florida now. When I left up there it was 21 degrees and snow was everywhere. I loved it.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    edited January 2, 2012
    I'm with you here, Mary. I love the mountains in all seasons, but something about being there in the dead of Winter is especially appealing.

Take care,

Tom
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Nice shot Tom ( I get chilly looking at it)
    Rags
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    I love "trees in the morning fog" shots, and this one is wonderful, Tom. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Hi Tom, you have certainly captured the winter bleakness in this shot - well seen and captured.

And a Happy New Year to you - looking forward to your 2012 posts.

Cheers, Richard.
    edited January 2, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Nice shot Tom ( I get chilly looking at it)

Hi Rags,

It's great to hear from you. Thanks for the support.

I've been following your action over on Street/PJ. I like the thrust of your work there. Your individuality comes through well.....keep the good stuff coming.

Happy New Year,

Tom
    edited January 2, 2012
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    I love "trees in the morning fog" shots, and this one is wonderful, Tom. thumb.gif

Many thanks for the kind words, Lee.

I wish you the very best in the coming year, my friend,

Tom
    edited January 2, 2012
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom, you have certainly captured the winter bleakness in this shot - well seen and captured.

And a Happy New Year to you - looking forward to your 2012 posts.

Cheers, Richard.

As always, Richard, it's a real pleasure to hear from you. I certainly value your support.

Happy New Year. I hope it will be a year of success and prosperity for you.

Take care,my friend,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Well done Tom......thumb.gif
    edited January 3, 2012
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Well done Tom......thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words, Gary. I appreciate your support.

Take care,

Tom
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    Howdy Tom
    I really like the starkness of this image. Apparently great minds work alike as about a week ago I was looking over some shots I took last year and came across a similar image of leafless trees in the winter morning fog. I played around with it increasing the contrast etc. but never got to posting it. I'm down in Virginia visiting my sister at the moment so don't have access to it. I came south hoping for warmer weather but it was 13 deg. this morning with a minus 7 deg. wind chill. :cry I could have stayed up in the mountains of western Mass. for that kind of weather!

Be well
    Jack

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited January 6, 2012
    Nice to see you on here, Jack. I hope you can find some warmer weather and some nice subjects to shoot . . . and post.

Tom - Are these trees near you? Will you shoot them in the spring as a comparison?

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited January 6, 2012
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Howdy Tom
    I really like the starkness of this image. Apparently great minds work alike as about a week ago I was looking over some shots I took last year and came across a similar image of leafless trees in the winter morning fog. I played around with it increasing the contrast etc. but never got to posting it. I'm down in Virginia visiting my sister at the moment so don't have access to it. I came south hoping for warmer weather but it was 13 deg. this morning with a minus 7 deg. wind chill. :cry I could have stayed up in the mountains of western Mass. for that kind of weather!

Be well
    Jack

Hey Buddy,

Thanks for looking in. Come Spring and we'll forget all about those kind of temps. You and I have some shooting to do.

Take care,

Tom
    edited January 6, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    Nice to see you on here, Jack. I hope you can find some warmer weather and some nice subjects to shoot . . . and post.

Tom - Are these trees near you? Will you shoot them in the spring as a comparison?

Cheers,
    Lauren

Those trees are right along one of my favorite roads near Blowing Rock, NC. I'll shoot them in the Spring for a comparison. Funny you should bring that possibility up. I'm fixing to post just such a
    comparison of a different scene. You'll see a scene in full Fall color ( previously posted ) and then the same scene on a bleak Winter day. It really brings home seasonal changes.

Take care,

Tom
    edited January 7, 2012
    It's those "great minds" again . . . mwink.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com