Options

Need Help Choosing...

New Hope StudiosNew Hope Studios Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited January 2, 2012 in People
Recently, I did some photos for a Heavy Metal band and they wanted one for the cover for their new CD. Of course, they chose the photo that I was least pleased with. I am using their logo with the band name already on it AND IN THE WRONG POSITION so I have had to manipulate the logo in size and positioning to try to get it to look right.

The LOGO is not negotiable or changeable - So here is what I have come up with, but need help deciding which one to present. If I give them too many options, they will be overwhelmed.

I will probably have the white border with shadowing behind the top layer on whatever I give them:

WARNECK-FAVORITE-L.jpg

WARNECK-LIKE2-L.jpg

WARNECK-LIKE-L.jpg

The only difference really is the font type I used for the words above them, one is antiqued, and of the black and white versions, one shows their entire arms on the two outside guys.

I would like to know which of these three you think looks more appealing - which one would be more likely to make you want to look further into them as a band I guess?

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Nice work, Oke here is what I would select.

Pic 1. Last choice as it is a bit to soft on the colors and contrast for a HM band.

Pic 2. My choice, because of the contrast, letters and flames.

Pic 3. Second choice only because flames are creating kind of a red hearth .

I wonder what the others will think.

Greetings ....
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »

Pic 1. Last choice as it is a bit to soft on the colors and contrast for a HM band.

Greetings ....

Thanks for your input! I was mostly wavering between the first two shots, but I see what you mean about the first one being too soft for a HM band.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »

Greetings ....

I agree wholeheartedly, #2 thumb.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    #3. IMO it's a better composition. The first two look crowded, and I think the scripty font on the sub-title looks like you were trying too hard. HM needs an edgier font, so #3 wins there too.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    HM needs an edgier font, so #3 wins there too.

I'm not sure I understand... #3's font is georgia I think... not exactly edgy, but you like that better? I kind of had the same thought on the font on the other two, but then I keep finding myself coming back to them.

Originally, I liked the comp of the 3rd better as well, but again, I keep finding myself liking 1 & 2 more.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    To me the font used in the first two looks a little cute. The third is more straightforward. Might be one of those (supposedly non-existant) gender things. mwink.gif

Then again, it might be one of those geezer things. :rutt
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    #3. IMO it's a better composition. The first two look crowded, and I think the scripty font on the sub-title looks like you were trying too hard. HM needs an edgier font, so #3 wins there too.

+1

Number 2 is cropped too tight around the shoulders of the guy on the right. As to the font, I would have to know what their music sounded like. I think. Graphically the font for number 3 looks fine, but I would choose by trying to match the feeling the music gave me to the feeling of the font. For whatever that is worth.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Fwiw, here're my musings :)

Pic 3 of the band because the arms aren't cropped / less crowded.
    Red background from pic 2 for two reasons: I think there's too much red in the #3 version and it's starting to 'draw the eye' and because the red bg in 3 has lots of red running vertically just inside the R and L vertical rdges of the frame, it's easier to see / judge that the bg isn't 'quite' centred.
    (A bit of assymetric horizontal scaling of the mirrored bg might help align stuff ... without being noticeable to the naked eye, maybe?)

Re 'mission statement' typeface: have you considered / tried using the same as the main logo ... with the possibility of italicising same ... just to see what it looks like?
    Problem with all caps typefaces is that they remove the 'shape' of words / phrases (because no ascenders / descenders) - which is important in the word recognition / reading process - after nearly 3 decades of being married to a special needs (English) teacher, me being allowed to forget same is rarely an option :)

The logo 'K' looks a bit too thick to me, compared with the 'W' - just a thought.

Also wonder if the main cause of alignment / centring issues - ie the head / body pitch spacing - couldn't be tweaked a little - by using the black clothing to your advantage :) and moving the people around a bit ... ?

pp