Options

Zombies In Halifax Nova Scotia

BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited January 3, 2012 in Street and Documentary
A graduate from NSCAD (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design) received permission to add a number of mannequins to a construction site on a very popular street "Argyle" which hosts numerous drinking establishments. Unfortunately, we had a bit of wind the past few days and some of the exhibits were flattened or their heads flown to different parts of the site. When I was there today, the artist was busy trying to put them back in place. I played around with iPhoto changing tints and other elements... not sure how I did!!!Pit-Zombies-XL.jpgOn-Ground-XL.jpgclimbing-wall-XL.jpg[IMG][/img]Total-lot-XL.jpgCrawling-out-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    I like the first image, B, it's the most visually striking to me out of this series, and if you intended this to be a series I would say this:

You should probably try to get a wider variety of images. Essentially, what you have here are several images of the same thing, with slightly different attributes. 2 is the most different, but not enough to really keep me interested beyond image 1. Next time, get in close, get creative, and make things interesting.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 2, 2012
    How cool. #3 is my favorite. Can you get into the site? It looks like all of these were shot from a distance. I bet you could do some pretty wild stuff with a wide-angle lens up close.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Interesting pictures, Bailiejo. Pretty intense color cast in the last one. Needs a middle-gray dropper click on a zombie head.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    I like the first image, B, it's the most visually striking to me out of this series, and if you intended this to be a series I would say this:

You should probably try to get a wider variety of images. Essentially, what you have here are several images of the same thing, with slightly different attributes. 2 is the most different, but not enough to really keep me interested beyond image 1. Next time, get in close, get creative, and make things interesting.

Thanks for the comments - you are absolutely right - pretty much shot the same way - hmmm. I only have the kits lens that came with the camera 18-55 1:3.5-5.6G and I couldn't get into the lot. I was shooting through the chain link fence. My next step is to buy two new lenses - wide angle close up and telephoto. Just need to decide what type and where. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    How cool. #3 is my favorite. Can you get into the site? It looks like all of these were shot from a distance. I bet you could do some pretty wild stuff with a wide-angle lens up close.

No, I couldn't get into the lot but I hear what you are saying.... same as what 'Sword and Scales' indicated. Need variety. Really appreciate your comments.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Interesting pictures, Bailiejo. Pretty intense color cast in the last one. Needs a middle-gray dropper click on a zombie head.

Thanks.... could I ask you to explain what you mean by 'middle-gray dropper click'. I'm new to all of this and really appreciate your comments. I do have PhotoShop Elements but don't know how to use it YET. It's next on my list after I purchase a few lenses. Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    If you bring up the Levels dialog in Elements, Bailiejo, you'll see three little droppers on the right side of the dialog. Click on the middle one, which is the middle-gray dropper, then click on the white head of one of the zombies. A lot of that blue will go away. If the color doesn't look quite right to you then, try clicking on the concrete. I just downloaded a copy of that picture and found a spot on the concrete that gives a proper result. I'd upload the result, but there's a restriction on that kind of illustration on Street & PJ.

Better yet, if you're shooting raw, use the White Balance Tool in Camera Raw. It's the leftmost dropper on the top toolbar. If the result doesn't look quite right, then use the Temperature slider to adjust until it looks right.

There are some very good books on Elements out there. Scott Kelby's probably is the best one for beginners.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    Well, now the last one is missing. Are you going to replace it after some more post-processing? It was quite a good shot, and the color cast is easily fixed.