Campsite Star Trails

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited January 7, 2012 in Landscapes
I dragged my Karavan up to Chimney rock outside of Tucson last week. It was perfect clear night to experiment with star trails.

Chimney-Rock-2011-8-L.jpg

Comments

• Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    This is lovely! I have been and always will be a huge fan of star trails. I think its partially beacuse you get break free of the "still" classification that photography involves.

My only nit is the trailer. It kind of distracts my eye from what the shot represents, the world spinning but if I were the one who was there and have lived that experience, this would be my all time fav!

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing more of these from you!
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Thanks Bryan,

I was trying to get some good promo shots of the new off road trailer from Australia so that's why I included it in the foreground.

From a purely photographic standpoint, I agree and I now wish I had repositioned my tripod after the first shot and taken another one without the trailer in the shot.

It was perfect night for this type of shooting. Cool in the low 30s and dead calm so no branches moving around during the longer exposures.

I appreciate your feedback.
    edited January 3, 2012
    Tried to crop out the trailer but it didn't leave enough of the foreground for a decent image. ne_nau.gif

Star-Trails-2-L.jpg

Star-Trails-3-L.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 4, 2012
    I like the first one, Brad, trailer and all. However, I would have gotten at least one set of trails with polaris centered right over the tip of that pointed rock.
    edited January 4, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    I like the first one, Brad, trailer and all. However, I would have gotten at least one set of trails with polaris centered right over the tip of that pointed rock.

Now that's a cool idea. I hadn't thought of trying that. That rock would be the perfect support for the pivot point.

Hmm, now when can I get back out there again???headscratch.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    well - I like your trailer... looks like it has everything. Just getting star trails is a feat I am wanting to try. Really nice!
    edited January 4, 2012
    Eia wrote: »
    well - I like your trailer... looks like it has everything. Just getting star trails is a feat I am wanting to try. Really nice!

Thanks Eia.

It was challenging getting up in there and back down but that's what I bought this off road trailer to do. wings.gif

Chimney-Rock-2011-17-L.jpg

Chimney-Rock-2011-19-L.jpg

Chimney-Rock-2011-20-L.jpg
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    Loving the star trail shot Brad - great job. Oh the places our rigs will take us :)
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
    edited January 4, 2012
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Loving the star trail shot Brad - great job. Oh the places our rigs will take us :)

Thanks Natalie. I agree our toys take us to where we want to be. clap.gif
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I like the trailer in the picture, the contrast between the depth of the star field and the things of man. I often think of Van Gogh's Starry Night when I am out trying to compose shots.

I like how the rock promontory almost mimics the curve of the star field, polaris centered over it might be interesting, but I like the balance of the off-centered image, with the complementary line.

As the other's have said, nicely done.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    The heck with the photo, I want that off-road trailer! (OK, not really - since The Lady and I do most of our camping off motorcycle or kayak...)
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thanks Kolibri. That is very thoughtful feedback, I appreciate it.

Dano, most of my early camping was backpacking. Give yourself a few more years and hauling around all the comfots of home with you becomes more and more appealing. rolleyes1.gif