Reflecting on color - some opinions ?

vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
edited February 20, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am quite new to Digital grin, and "trying to get the most of dgrin" ! Am struggling between these shots for ch 50. I just withdrew my previous entry. the shots there are so good, that I've to try again! Please do comment and critique.If they are crappy, feel free to say so - it will hurt, sure...but I'll live :)
thanks a lot in advance.
these were all taken yesterday late afternoon - ducks on the lake with refelctions of fall colors..

41772212-M.jpg

the 2nd seems less crowded, more focused, but less abstract ? confused...

41772206-M.jpg

then again, this one ?

41772200-M.jpg

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    OK I'll try
    I love the vivid color reflections on the water! I can see why you were attracted to them, I'd be shooting a card full of that gorgeous water :):

IF it's possible to go back, bring some kind of food for the ducks... this will entice them to swim toward you -- if they are anything like our ducks and geese-- that is.

I think the duck needs to be closer to you to offer some visual interest, and preferably looking at you or interacting with you in some form. Not to say I haven't seen some great "duck butt" shots. But by introducing the ducks to the beautiful reflections you have the two elements sort of fighting each other.

Of course the ultimate shot would be a duck in flight coming in for a landing and disturbing the reflections... but we won't go there :D

Another thing that might help would be maybe some colored leaves floating in the water on it's surface which again, would give you a "subject" and add interest to the reflections.

Does this help at all?
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    yes, thanks a lot ! Just means another evening spent at the lake icon10.gifI hope they don't have a ' do not feed the birds rule' yelrotflmao.gif

>>Of course the ultimate shot would be a duck in flight coming in for a landing and disturbing the reflections... but we won't go there :D

Now that's too much to ask for - tho it WILL make the perfect shot ! maybe today is the day !
  • bluffmaster007bluffmaster007 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    wao!
    hello!
    this is a goood shoot.u have not focused the ducks and also the water properly u should have a suitable distance.my sugestion is that u should first try to understand the idea of ur scene and try to understande ur camera model.i m also a new photographer and i have canon a300 i m in initiall stages.i m trying to understand my camera.when i'lll complete;y understand my kamera i'lll think that i kan capture every best idea and scenery with the best result.
    this is goood idea and scene.
  • MesaManMesaMan Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Lovely shots, maybe a greater depth of field would bring even more out those reflections?
    Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything.
    ~Morihei Ueshiba~
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
  • ReWriteReWrite Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Crappy... not at all. The colors are gorgeous. I think the problem here is that these are mostly pictures of gorgeous color, the ducks are sort of just thrown in. If these are going to be pictures of ducks, the ducks need to be more visually interesting then just floating around being mostly ducklike. Don't get me wrong, I like ducks just as much as the next guy, but let's face it, 90% of the time, they're just not that interesting.

However if they're going to be pictures of the colors, you need to lose the ducks, and maybe try a portrait orientation including some shoreline and trees above if you can get a nice still day, or find a couple really stunning leaves and float them onto the color reflection with large depth of field so the whole pic is sharp.

If I lived close to that lake, I'd definitely be blowing through the CF cards in the next few days.

Cheers,

Ian

Canon 20d, digital rebel, 17-85 IS, 100 2.8 macro,
    10-22, 100-400L IS.