late fall hike around Foster Falls

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited January 2, 2012 in Landscapes
Went on a short loop hike around one of my favorite place to visit, Foster Falls. It is located atop the Cumberland Plateau in TN, part of the South Cumberland State Recreation Area. Fall is dry in this part of the state but there was a little water flowing in the creek. The falls are rather impressive in full flow as it is a 65'+drop. Looking forward to a good snow to come back here for. Interesting side note for the history buffs. Apparently at the turn of the 20th century, this was a hot spot for big southern city summer vacationers staying up on the plateau in summer months to come cool off. One young daredevil decided that he would show off to the swimmers below and jumped his horse off the falls the 65' feet above down into the pool below. Sounds like a tall tale but I actually saw a picture of the alleged daredevil in an old book detailing summer history in the area of where I read of the alleged incident.

As I've been here many times before, trying for something a little different in a few of these shots and noticed I ended up with quite a few portrait orientated shots that I like.

-Jon

1. above the falls, hiking in.
i-2Q7kBrk-XL.jpg

2. creek above the falls
i-MMCnN2c-XL.jpg

3. from the backside looking across the falls and pool below
i-2HW6Jbz-XL.jpg

4. trail leading up to the falls from below
i-cQxdNzw-XL.jpg

5. shrouded falls
i-SCFb8sW-XL.jpg

6. my minimalist approach to the falls