Cades Cove

JTSkippyJTSkippy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited January 12, 2012 in Wildlife
Hello all! My first time on DGrin, so please let me know if I need to change anything in the way I'm posting, etc. These are a few that I took the other day while in Cades Cove in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Any comments and tips for the future are more than welcome. Always trying to learn!

Photos weren't appearing, so changed from IMG links to BBCodes. Images appearing for me now. Mods, please let me know if this is ok or if I need to change my approach. Thanks.

6616028473_bff4f6c123_z.jpg
Barred Owl 2 by jtmason99, on Flickr

6604636577_5cc92fab37_z.jpg
No Luck Buck by jtmason99, on Flickr

6616027193_e63ed6e7e2_z.jpg
Preening by jtmason99, on Flickr

6604635477_0431d1ba93_z.jpg
Stalking by jtmason99, on Flickr

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Not seeing any pics
    Posting pictures on Dgrin
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • JTSkippyJTSkippy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2012
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Not seeing any pics
    Posting pictures on Dgrin

Fixed! (I think) try again and let me know what you think. Thanks!
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Nice set of images, love the first owl show with the slight head turn.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Welcome to the wildlife forum, and what a terrific first post! I love the owls! Actually I like all of them. I hope you post regularly. Best, Pam
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    Welcome to the Wildlife Forum and I'm looking forward to seing more of your images in the future.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PacificklausPacificklaus Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I really like the Owl shots, how it stands out from the background. That NP is in Tennessee?
    edited January 5, 2012
    I really like the Owl shots, how it stands out from the background. That NP is in Tennessee?

Thanks, glad you like. For once I was able to actually remember everything I've learned about f-stops and controlling DOF, and honestly, got pretty lucky too. Cade's Cove is in Great Smoky Mountains NP, on the eastern end of the state, sharing the border with North Carolina. Over 800,000 acres and almost 900 miles of hiking trails. I was very lucky to be able to move down here, and look out my front door at one of the mountains that forms the park boundary, just about 2 miles away. It is actually the most visited NP, with about 10 million visitors a year, but has a completely different feel than western parks like Yosemite. No hotels in the park, just campgrounds, trails, and a few two-lane roads leading to the most popular spots.
  • bhowdybhowdy Registered Users Posts: 658 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    JT -
    Welcome to Digital Grin and the Wildlife forum. Nice series of images, especially the owl.
    Fellow Cove dweller here .... Living in Maryville, I consider the cove my "home field"

Bob
    Maryville, TN.

http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/
    edited January 10, 2012
    I went back to the Cove today, and had what was definitely my best day ever out there. I was extremely lucky and managed see a bobcat along the side of the road. Every time I turned around, another surprise was waiting for me. Hope everyone enjoys these as much as I did.

6676386177_c7a4eea67e_b.jpg
    Cades Cove Bobcat 2 by jtmason99, on Flickr

6676394001_66515da843_b.jpg
    Proud Buck by jtmason99, on Flickr

6676402613_a3433b6be2_b.jpg
    Pileated Woodpecker 4 by jtmason99, on Flickr

6676391597_941a5837c3_b.jpg
    Standoff 2 by jtmason99, on Flickr

6676387853_26db30bb37_b.jpg
    Magical Mountain Morning by jtmason99, on Flickr

More on Flickr.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Wow! Congratulations on that bobcat! Best, Pam
  • austinjamesaustinjames Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    all great captures; really like the first owl and the buck Silhouette. congrats on a great day!