The Calm after the Storm - C&C Please

DaffodilDaffodil Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 5, 2012 in Landscapes
Hi
Went for a walk earlier to asses the storm damage (we had strong winds last night) took a couple of shots while I was out, what do you think?

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg
My equipment so far:
Canon EOS 500D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 4, 2012
    Hi Jacquelyn,

The first shot had a huge dynamic range to deal with -- shadowed trees against a bright sky. That is larger than your camera sensor can handle, so it seems you picked an exposure that was in the middle of the range. Consequently, neither the trees nor the sky are exposed particularly well. The sky has huge blown out areas, and the trees are silhouetted. Basically your choices would have been either to use a multiple exposure blend to increase your range, expose only for the trees and let the sky blow-out, or expose for the sky and leave the trees in the dark. Probably the better approach would have been the last choice, expose for the sky and leave the trees as silhouettes. That's essentially what you have now, but you'd have a more dramatic sky which to my eye would have made the shot.

The second one has a nice exposure, but the composition isn't working for me at all. ne_nau.gif

I hope I haven't seemed to harsh and you'll take these critiques in the positive spirit in which they were intended. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. thumb.gif
  • DaffodilDaffodil Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    thanks for your comments, i'll keep trying :-)

what do yyou mean that the sky has huge blown out areas? thanks

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    My equipment so far:
    Canon EOS 500D
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens