Options

Adding a border/canvass size

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited January 21, 2012 in Finishing School
Hi,

I have LR3 and CS5, my workflow is to import RAW files to LR3 and make as many adjustments as I can in there. I have about 60 wallet size (2.5x3.5) that I need to have sent to Mpix for processing. I am not going to have them die cut. They will be processed 8 to a sheet, and I will cut them out. They do not come with borders, so I will have to add them. I plan on going with a 1/4 in border.

My question is this, what is the easiest wasy to do all the borders at once? I have used the canvas size function in PS on one photo at a time, but there must be a faster way. Edit 60 photos in PS directly from LR3? I haven't been able to figure out how to apply a border to multiple images yet.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Have you tried creating an action where you add a specific increase in the border using "Canvas size"?
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    if all pics are same size ;
    make a new layer on one of the pics and create your border
    select it and hit copy

open your next pic , then hit paste or paste special > in place if you want different color or type of border
    is not much work
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I have about 60 wallet size (2.5x3.5) that I need to have sent to Mpix for processing. ... I plan on going with a 1/4 in border.

Caveat: If you size the pictures to a 5:7 ratio (2.5x3.5) and then add a 1/4 inch border, the ratio will no longer be 5:7.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Peano wrote: »
    Caveat: If you size the pictures to a 5:7 ratio (2.5x3.5) and then add a 1/4 inch border, the ratio will no longer be 5:7.

Thanks for the help everyone, I will give it a try. With regards to the change in size ratio, yes, I noticed that. It seemedf before when I used Elements, whenever I added a canvas, PS automaticly shrunk the image so that it stayed in the same ratio. Now I noticed it didn't do that, so I went to Image--Image Size, and then resized the image to 2.5 X 3.5.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    It seemedf before when I used Elements, whenever I added a canvas, PS automaticly shrunk the image so that it stayed in the same ratio. Now I noticed it didn't do that, so I went to Image--Image Size, and then resized the image to 2.5 X 3.5.

Another caveat: If you add canvas for a border that changes the aspect ratio, the only way to resize that image back to 2.5x3.5 is to uncheck the box to constrain proportions. But if you do that, the resized image will be distorted.

constrain.jpg

Note how the circles are squeezed when the image is resized to 2.5x3.5:

distorted.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    Another caveat: If you add canvas for a border that changes the aspect ratio, the only way to resize that image back to 2.5x3.5 is to uncheck the box to constrain proportions. But if you do that, the resized image will be distorted.

constrain.jpg

Note how the circles are squeezed when the image is resized to 2.5x3.5:

distorted.jpg

Thanks again, never knew that. So, I have been looking into "recording an action". If I do this, can I apply it to several pictures at once, or do I have to open each picture, and run the action?
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    So, I have been looking into "recording an action". If I do this, can I apply it to several pictures at once, or do I have to open each picture, and run the action?

You can create an action that will do a batch of images at once. But that won't alter the fact that if you uncheck "Constrain Proportions," you'll warp a batch of images instead of just one.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    You can create an action that will do a batch of images at once. But that won't alter the fact that if you uncheck "Constrain Proportions," you'll warp a batch of images instead of just one.

OK, so here's what I did. First, I crop my picture to a 2X3 image in LR3. Then I click "Edit in CS5", and move to CS5. I created an action in CS5 which adds a .5 border to my image, end result a 2.5X3.5 image with the border. This is going to end up in a framed piece in the fire department I work at. There will be about 60 images total. The openings in the mat are 2x3, the extra 1/4 inch border around the image allows for the image to be attached to the mat. here is a sample image with the border.

6680355583_86986f1f9c_z.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    The openings in the mat are 2x3, the extra 1/4 inch border around the image allows for the image to be attached to the mat.

Well, if you say so, but I can't do the math. If the mat windows are 2x3, that would seem to eliminate the border you created.

But whatever ... I would take a second look at the images themselves. I see room for improvement there.

fireman.gif
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Ok, can you elaborate as to what improvement? This was my first try at portraits, I'd appreciate any advice. You are right, the border will be eliminated from the front side, it's only there for the framer to attach it to the matte.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Ok, can you elaborate as to what improvement?

You can see them in the animated gif I posted. Generally: more light on the subject's face and, in this case, some skin tone adjustments.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Ok, I'm on a phone and it doesn't show up. I 'll check on my home computer. I did add a vignette. The lights I used were about 30 years old, no power adjustments, just messed around with distance. Used shoot through umbrellas.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    OK, was able to see it..it looks too bright to me?? Kind of washed out...is that some sort of before and after animation? Maybe my monitor is off. I have a new computer and I have not calibrated it. I know the hair is too dark, I struggled trying to make some kind of reflector on the ceiling without success. There is a slight vignette on it as well.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    You need to calibrate your monitor.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2012
    You need to calibrate your monitor.

OK, I went the cheap route and used the Windows 7 monitor calibration, let me know what you think, or if there are other free ways to calibrate it. I know, I should get Spyder 3, and probably will soon, but this is just down and dirty for now. Thanks! Also, here's the specs/exif on this shot, please give any pointers.
    Canon 5D with 2.8L 70-200 @95mm, shot at ISO 100, f7.1 @ 1/160

6704240205_15027e2ca2_z.jpg
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    OK, I went the cheap route and used the Windows 7 monitor calibration, let me know what you think, or if there are other free ways to calibrate it.

look here ;
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-online-tools-calibrate-monitor/

i prefer the 4th myself
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    OK, I went the cheap route and used the Windows 7 monitor calibration, let me know what you think, or if there are other free ways to calibrate it. I know, I should get Spyder 3, and probably will soon, but this is just down and dirty for now. Thanks! Also, here's the specs/exif on this shot, please give any pointers.
    Canon 5D with 2.8L 70-200 @95mm, shot at ISO 100, f7.1 @ 1/160

Lovely improvement. Well done.

Anthony.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Thanks!