Options

SGT Gini

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited January 5, 2012 in People
Just a shot of my daughter, she loves to pose .

985553279_ZoZey-XL.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    Heck if I were that pretty I might try some posing myself!

She's a gorgous young lady and youve done a great job highlighting that fact.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    Heck if I were that pretty I might try some posing myself!

She's a gorgous young lady and youve done a great job highlighting that fact.

Thanks Jeff
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    What a knockout and I don't mean the photo!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    What a knockout and I don't mean the photo!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I will pass the word to Gini. I am sure she will be pleased. I wonder from who she got those looks , certainly not from me rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    D3, I really love the posing and lighting in this image, and being you it's obviously fundamentally correct beyond that. I do have a question from my amateur perspective. I feel like there is a slightly overwhelming contrast between the darkness of the jacket and her skin/face/hair. Perhaps it is because she is so close to the fabric in that low position, I'm not sure. Is there a reason that you've chosen to make the two essential tones in this image so starkly different, and could you explain why this is done? Hopefully I do not sound like an idiot.
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Beautiful

Take Care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    www.aperturefocus.smugmug.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    D3, I really love the posing and lighting in this image, and being you it's obviously fundamentally correct beyond that. I do have a question from my amateur perspective. I feel like there is a slightly overwhelming contrast between the darkness of the jacket and her skin/face/hair. Perhaps it is because she is so close to the fabric in that low position, I'm not sure. Is there a reason that you've chosen to make the two essential tones in this image so starkly different, and could you explain why this is done? Hopefully I do not sound like an idiot.

Thanks, well first of all only idiots never ask a question. So by all means ask, although I do not own the wisdom.

The jacket is dark blue, she is a blonde. Secondly the light set-up was a front flash-unit with a directional cone. So placing the beam on the face with a honeycomb to make the light softer.

The background is black paper at some distance away. I wanted to get a gradient on the background and a kind of rim light on the back of Gini (right hand-side). Hence the difference on the backdrop paper.

The reason is that I had a B&W picture in mind. Conversion to B&W is mainly based luminance, so the bigger the luminance differences the more crisp the B&W picture. It is always good to have the full spectrum from white light to the deepest dark in one shot without burning it or losing detail in those area's of interest.

Personally I find B&W pictures that only have gray tones dull . But of course that is a taste.

I hope that this clarified a bit .

Regards D3Sshooter
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    It's a beautiful image. Very "old Dutch master-ey" with the window light coming in from the right and all. The bright spot on the collar point or draw string needs to be cloned out. That is very distracting to me.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    It's a beautiful image. Very "old Dutch master-ey" with the window light coming in from the right and all. The bright spot on the collar point or draw string needs to be cloned out. That is very distracting to me.

Thanks, indeed you have a point. Strange that I didn't see that.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    D3Shooter wrote:
    The reason is that I had a B&W picture in mind. Conversion to B&W is mainly based luminance, so the bigger the luminance differences the more crisp the B&W picture. It is always good to have the full spectrum from white light to the deepest dark in one shot without burning it or losing detail in those area's of interest.

Excellent! That's exactly what I wanted to hear, so now I know...thank you!
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    First off, she's a very pretty kid. Better keep that shotgun loaded.rolleyes1.gif

Overall I like this a lot. Very classic look to it. I might clean up the stray hair on her left (camera right) side a bit but that's about it.
    I find it really interesting how you came right to the edge of blowing out her hair but never did so. You have a really deft touch at that. I probably would have blown that detail all to hell.

Nice one D3.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    First off, she's a very pretty kid. Better keep that shotgun loaded.rolleyes1.gif

Overall I like this a lot. very classic look to it. I might clean up the stray hair on her left (camera right) side a bit but that's about it.
    I find it really interesting how you came right to the edge of blowing out her hair but never did so. You have a really deft touch at that. I probably would have blown that detail all to hell.

Nice one D3.

Txs John, indeed I need to clean that up... And shotgun... Yep its a twin barrel :D