Options

#93 - Old

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited January 6, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Coming up with ideas for this challenge has been... well... a challenge. :) Working on a few versions along these lines... Does this have any promise?

1. Grandma's hand-me-downs
i-Zx5hH6K-L.jpg

2. Grandma's China
i-2DwPRjH-L.jpg
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Being a lover of the vintage look I like the concept and the items but for me visually it's a little too busy. I might prefer the teapot without the plate behind or the plate without the teapot for example. GP
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,277 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I like #2. #1 does seem busy with too many subjects. #2 is nice...I like the subdued color and soft focus.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    Thanks. I entered #2 for now. We'll see what else I might come up with over the weekend.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Of the two, I like the second best, as seems to be the consensus. I'd be curious to see a bit more saturation and maybe a teeny bit more white... Cool shot.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    2a. Here's the original photo converted from RAW file.
    i-JH7Hr8F-L.jpg

2b. Here's The effect used in #2 but with opacity at 100%. (in #2 i had turned up the tranparancy of the effect just a bit to let some color come through)
    i-dS6NchT-L.jpg

2c. Here's the effect with the transparancy turned up even more and a boost to the whites.
    i-ckWRTNx-L.jpg

I added a bit of grain to most of these too... going for a vintage look. Too busy to get out and try to find something to shoot this week... so was looking for options to shoot at home.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Clearly this is largely a matter of personal taste, rather than what's the "right" way to do it. That said, I'm finding myself drawn to color images that contain the essence of color without over-saturating. For me number 2c does that very well. There's the essence of purple and green along with some bright (yet not blown out) white on the cup. It's not hyper-realistic, not true color, but the essence of color. For my (clearly biased and based on personal preference) taste, 2c is the best of the bunch. Very nice!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I like 2c and agree with Bill about the color. Plus I think it lends itself to the "old" theme with less saturation. GP
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Thanks guys... and thanks Bill for the suggestions. I do like the added color... I originally went with the really muted version trying to keep the vintage feel. But, your suggestions really brought the colors out and kept that so ... yay!! Thanks again!
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited January 6, 2012
    I agree that 2c is great!