Options

Workshop on Outter Banks of NC?

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited January 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
As the year has begun, and June is but six months off, it's time for me to start thinking seriously about this year's workshop. My initial inclination was to do a repeat of last year, and have it on Martha's Vineyard, but then I began thinking about the possibility of holding it in Corolla, NC, on the Outer Banks - think endless beach, tourists, fisherfolk, lighthouses, gulls, warm weather, sand, sunsets, sunrises, seafood, etc. I have access to a house that sleeps a few million (okay, exaggeration, I think it only sleeps 22.) My thought is that participants could bring spouses and kids if they wanted to, as long as the spouse would take responsibility for the kids and keep them out of the hair of workshop participants.

I realize the Outer Banks are a 'fer piece,' but one can drive there from pretty much anywhere - we do it in one long day and half-day going from Boston, from NYC it would be about 9 hours. One can also fly to Virginia Beach, Raleigh, where ever, and rent a car. So the big question is - assuming a workshop fee of $600 for the week, a room fee of $600 - and that includes spouse etc. - plus your share of shared food - who might be interested (keep in mind that if you do what to bring a spouse and child or a couple children, it will be the least expensive week at the beach on earth :rofl) how many takers might I have if I set this up for a week in mid-June?

Drop me a line off-list at bd@bdcolenphoto.com with any inclining of interest, questions, etc.

Oh, the workshop...The purpose of the workshop is two fold - to help you figure out who you are as a photographer, and to work on photographic story telling. You will complete daily assignments, and shoot a story over the course of the week.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    "I realize the Outer Banks are a 'fer piece,' but one can drive there from pretty much anywhere"

Oh jeeze another right coaster thinking their world revolves around... Ferget it!

Seriously tho', You might like to check for the hurricane season (I ran into that on my planned Cuba trip)
    Rags
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Though it is technically in season, hurricanes in June are extremely rare. The outer banks are stunningly beautiful in the summer.

I'd be interested in the workshop but I'm not sure about bringing my family (maybe, though). It would really depend on the dates as I have another trip planned in June as well. But I'm interested in keeping up with the details.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    Though it is technically in season, hurricanes in June are extremely rare. The outer banks are stunningly beautiful in the summer.

I'd be interested in the workshop but I'm not sure about bringing my family (maybe, though). It would really depend on the dates as I have another trip planned in June as well. But I'm interested in keeping up with the details.

Thanks, Pupator - I will keep all posted. And indeed, June is not a time one has to worry about hurricanes - at least it wasn't before the climate began, uh, changing. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    "I realize the Outer Banks are a 'fer piece,' but one can drive there from pretty much anywhere"

Oh jeeze another right coaster thinking their world revolves around... Ferget it!

Seriously tho', You might like to check for the hurricane season (I ran into that on my planned Cuba trip)

Hey, Raggs, the point is you can drive to it from any place you can fly into. And June is not hurricane season.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Hey, Raggs, the point is you can drive to it from any place you can fly into. And June is not hurricane season.mwink.gif

I'm no expert, I was told that June 1 is the start (at least in the Caribbean). Just trying to help.
    Rags
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Not that the folks in Chicago know when the average first date of a hurricane is being so far inland, but they did have a cool little table showing just that based on information gathered from 1944 - 1996. July 11th for a named storm is the magic date with August 14th when upgraded to Hurricane status.

Source:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-hc-canedates,0,7873131.htmlstory

And a secondary check (published 06/29/2011) reveals the following:
    While June tropical storms are not all that unusual, June hurricanes are much more rare. The average first hurricane of a typical season usually does not arrive until August 10. The average date of the first tropical storm is July 9.

Source:
    http://hurricanereport.blogs.heraldtribune.com/10819/hurricane-warnings-for-mexico/

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I'd love to join you all for this, but just as before, our newborn will be right around the corner.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Thanks for the link Scott, I'll watch the Nat'l Hurricane center info

Much appreciated
    Rags
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    b.d.
    this kills me on a yearly basis.
    I know where there is a will there is a way.

It's cheap, I know 600 for a week's stay WITH the family! that's beyond a bargain and I know from having looked into other workshops that your price is a bargain as well.
    I can swing that but for summer camp tuition being due at the same time for both kids not to mention 7 days worth of vacation days.

I will not say "never" because I think it will work somehow someday.
    Liz A.
    _________