Options

Guardian Video Interview with Errol Morris...

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited January 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »

After seeing this, it reminds me of that Mantra "Always Question Authority".
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    That was a nice short interview, much of which has been touched on by several here. Sort of opens one's eyes to looking at images a bit deeper with questions.

Truth or a bias? hmmm.....

Would it be safe to say that every image has bias to some level? Without shooting and distribution of an image, what other purpose would it serve but to present a biased view on a subject? Thus, it seems to me a bias would be present from the start. headscratch.gif If that's the case, when is bias acceptable or not?

My head hurts again....

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Scott, I think any photograph has bias because it's cut from reality by the photographer, who made a decision about what to include, and, as a corollary, what to exclude. I don't see how you can avoid it. But to me the question "when is bias acceptable?" almost has to be answered "always." Anyone who thinks he's without bias needs to take a closer look at himself, and if you start trying to elimiate bias from human interaction, which a photograph always includes, you end up trying to eliminate human interaction itself.

Believing is Seeing arrived about an hour and a half ago, just before dinner. Now I'm about fifteen pages into it. BD was right. It's fascinating.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I think so too, and on both counts. Bias is built-in to what we shoot as it's our way of capturing or creating what we want to exhibit.

Me thinks I'll just have to order up the book now as my curiosity is peaked....

And some comment on your views of the book would be appreciated (without any spoilers). Maybe another thread?

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Okay. As soon as I finish it. It'll be a while because I'm in and out a fair amount.