Options

Beauty Dish v Softbox

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited January 7, 2012 in People
Other than the catchlight shape, what's the difference in performance between a beauty dish and a softbox of similar size? Why would one be preferred over the other for a straight-on lighting setup?
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I find the beauty dish is a bit of a harsher light that the softbox.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Found some good Info on Youtube
    Icebear wrote: »
    Other than the catchlight shape, what's the difference in performance between a beauty dish and a softbox of similar size? Why would one be preferred over the other for a straight-on lighting setup?

Youtube and search for "the Slanted Lens" Its a whole series of videos done by Jay P Morgan.

He does one about the Beauty dish where he says the BD is Between a Soft Box and an Umbrella.
    "The BD is a Harder light than a Softbox but softer than an Umbrella"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-cQyJWNvLY

He also has a Video comparing Large, meduim and small soft boxes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVy2nwoataM&feature=related

HTH It was/is useful information to me.
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    A softbox is typical square or rectangular, some octagon shaped. The intend is to create soft light, by having a large surface that emits light with a diffusion cloth.
    The softbox will reflect in the eyes of the model as a square or whatever, hence the catchlight isn't that nice.

The use of a beauty dish, creates a nice round catchlight in the eyes. It is however harder light as the diameter of a beauty dish is typically around 1 foot, you can add a diffuser to make it a bit softer or even a honeycomb to further direct the light.

So that is what I know about it......for what it is worth.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I agree with Cuban on the main difference being the harshness of the light. I have played with both and find that, at least for my purposes, the softbox is easier to work with, more forgiving on slight mistakes and provides light that is more flattering on a consistent basis. My results might not be a fair comparison as the softboxes I use are at least three times as large as the beauty dish I have.

If the goal is to provide a dramatic look in which stronger shadows are desired and you have the time to play with positioning to get those shadows in just the right place, the beauty dish would be the way to go.

As for the round vs. rectangle catch-light debate; if the shape of your catch-light is a big deal to you, and to make you happy said catch-light must be round, it is relatively simple to cut a circle in a piece of black cloth and attach it to the face of your softbox.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I agree with Cuban on the main difference being the harshness of the light. I have played with both and find that, at least for my purposes, the softbox is easier to work with, more forgiving on slight mistakes and provides light that is more flattering on a consistent basis. My results might not be a fair comparison as the softboxes I use are at least three times as large as the beauty dish I have.

If the goal is to provide a dramatic look in which stronger shadows are desired and you have the time to play with positioning to get those shadows in just the right place, the beauty dish would be the way to go.

As for the round vs. rectangle catch-light debate; if the shape of your catch-light is a big deal to you, and to make you happy said catch-light must be round, it is relatively simple to cut a circle in a piece of black cloth and attach it to the face of your softbox.

Indeed, its all about taste. Here in continental Europe catch-lights are preferred to be small and round.

As to the light type harsh vs soft here is a very simple rule:

1. The bigger the surfaces of the light source becomes, how softer the light will be.
    2. The closer the light source is to the subject , the softer the light will be.

Soft light has a subtle transition between bright and darker area's , harsh light has distinct border between the bright and dark area's with a sudden transition.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Indeed, its all about taste. Here in continental Europe catch-lights are preferred to be small and round.

As to the light type harsh vs soft here is a very simple rule:

1. The bigger the surfaces of the light source becomes, how softer the light will be.
    2. The closer the light source is to the subject , the softer the light will be.

Soft light has a subtle transition between bright and darker area's , harsh light has distinct border between the bright and dark area's with a sudden transition.

This is true as a general rule, but I'm finding out that the light seems to come out of the beauty dish in a more focused manner, and that there's far less wrap-around than from a soft box of the same size. A 24" square SB has the same surface area as a 27" BD.
    John :
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    This is true as a general rule, but I'm finding out that the light seems to come out of the beauty dish in a more focused manner, and that there's far less wrap-around than from a soft box of the same size. A 24" square SB has the same surface area as a 27" BD.

Right. More focused = Harder Light = Less Wrap Around

I think all three terms are somewhat synonymous. When I say harder light, I mean that the shadows are more pronounced. I think you mean the same when you say that it's "more focused". Also, harder shadows mean they don't wrap.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    The beauty dish is a harsher light and the falloff is greater. You really need to have the dish close to the camera axsis for best effect.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I may be totally out of line here, but in my book the "wrap around" effect (which is, technically speaking, the level of the fall-off gradient over the subject's "depth") has nothing to do with how soft or sharp your light is (albeit usually there is a correlation), but depends on distance from the light source, lightsource size and subject depth. I immediately admit that the first two indeed define how soft or sharp the light is, but the point is: there is a depth parameter and the whole math is different from the "softness" one.

In a simple example (a human portrait, single light in from of the subject) we can easily observe the following scenarios:

* bare speedlight 1ft away from the face: soft-to-sharp light, strong wraparound
    * vertical 3'x2" striplight 2ft away: rather soft light, decent wraparound
    * 3'x4' softbox 2ft away: very soft light, almost no wraparound (sides are lit by be parts of the light source)
    * bare speedlight 6ft away: sharp light, weak wraparound
    * 3'x4' softbox 6ft away: soft light, weak wraparound
    * any light 12ft away: while it can still be soft if you use a giant diffuser, there will be almost no wraparound effect as the distance from the light source is far greater than human head's depth (~1ft)

I apologize if this is confusing, but, as I said, there is no simple linear dependency between softness and "wrapness" as in " the softer the light, the stronger/weaker the wraparound is". They play by their own rules and one need to know them all to reach the desired lighting effect.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    If you take a standing model and aim a dish at the head there is less fall off on lets say her toes, if you aim a softbox the same way there is more light on her toes. There is more light bouncing around inside the soft box and coming out at greater angles than just following the lines of the softbox.

The edge of a shadow is called its acuity. The difference between white and black can be very sharp or very graduated. If you look at the shadows edge of acutiy you can tell if the light was close or far from the subject. Look at your shadow in direct sunlight and notice the edge of acuity. Then try to observe it on an overcast day. You will see a major difference, on a sunny day the shadow is sharp due to a very bright, small light source, far away. On an overcast day the light is diffused and somewhat closer due to the cloud cover diffusing the light and you shadow has much less of a sharp edge. So the closer you bring you light to your subject the softer that edge gets, move it back and it gets sharper. Also the larger the light source the softer the edge.

Confusing yes, you've got to play with it and observe.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    If you take a standing model and aim a dish at the head there is less fall off on lets say her toes, if you aim a softbox the same way there is more light on her toes. There is more light bouncing around inside the soft box and coming out at greater angles than just following the lines of the softbox.

The edge of a shadow is called its acuity. The difference between white and black can be very sharp or very graduated. If you look at the shadows edge of acutiy you can tell if the light was close or far from the subject. Look at your shadow in direct sunlight and notice the edge of acuity. Then try to observe it on an overcast day. You will see a major difference, on a sunny day the shadow is sharp due to a very bright, small light source, far away. On an overcast day the light is diffused and somewhat closer due to the cloud cover diffusing the light and you shadow has much less of a sharp edge. So the closer you bring you light to your subject the softer that edge gets, move it back and it gets sharper. Also the larger the light source the softer the edge.

Confusing yes, you've got to play with it and observe.

There's nothing confusing about that, Charles. Size and distance have nothing to do, however, with why a SB and beauty dish give very different kinds of illumination.
    John :
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    I agree that they do give different kinds of illumination. But size does affect the quality of light.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    I agree that they do give different kinds of illumination. But size does affect the quality of light.

But, but, but I stipulated they were the same size. 24" SB and 27" BD.
    24 x 24 = 576
    13.5 x 13.5 x 3.141597 . . . = 572.556 (close enuf fer me)
    John :
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    If you draw a soft box on paper and then extend the lines of the box you would think that the light follows those lines out. But the light is bounced around inside the box before it comes out and that effects the light coming out. I can't find the diagram that presents this but I'll keep looking.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    If you draw a soft box on paper and then extend the lines of the box you would think that the light follows those lines out. But the light is bounced around inside the box before it comes out and that effects the light coming out. I can't find the diagram that presents this but I'll keep looking.

That diagram would be good to see. I think it has everything to do with the shape of the BD. The bowl shape and diffuser disc combine to cause the light "rays" to come out aimed more to the front, regardless of the particular point on the surface or the disc from which they reflect. (Or something like that.)

For the same reason, a parabolic SB has a different light than a shallower one. I also believe that SBs like the Apollo that shoot the speedlight into the back of the box produce a more beauty-dish-type light than, say, an EZ-Box Hotshoe that shoots the light toward the front through diffuser panels.
    John :
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Wouldn't the "softness" of the light emitted from the soft-box vs. the beauty dish be in part because the fall off of light happens more rapidly, in turn allowing you to place your light source closer to the subject, than it does straight out of a beauty dish?

Wouldn't the light from a beauty dish be similar to soft-box light if it were covered with a white diffuser material?
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Yep
    Wouldn't the "softness" of the light emitted from the soft-box vs. the beauty dish be in part because the fall off of light happens more rapidly, in turn allowing you to place your light source closer to the subject, than it does straight out of a beauty dish?

Unless I'm reading you wrong, I think this is backwards. Light falloff from the BD is quicker. Edit: Maybe more abrupt is a better way of saying it

Wouldn't the light from a beauty dish be similar to soft-box light if it were covered with a white diffuser material?

I think this is correct. The material scatters the focused light somewhat
    John :
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    But, but, but I stipulated they were the same size. 24" SB and 27" BD.
    24 x 24 = 576
    13.5 x 13.5 x 3.141597 . . . = 572.556 (close enuf fer me)

I'll venture to throw this in the pot. The inner surface of a softbox isn't as "polished" as that of the Beauty Dish. The "Soft" inner reflection surface doesn't "push" the light out like the "Hard" glossy inner surface of a Beauty Dish. This giving the Beauty Dish just a little "Harder" light coming through whatever modifier is attached.

Just my thought.
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    This is a crude drawing of an example I once saw that explained the actual size and light spread of a softbox. You would think the light would follow the lines of the box but as it bounces around inside the box it comes out at different spots and angles and makes the light source larger. If I'm wrong please correct me so I don't tell others something incorrect.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    This is a great discussion guys and very enlightening. I've never really given it much thought to be honest. Charles, I completely agree with your position regarding how the light behaves in a softbox vs. a beauty dish. I think it's very similar to Nick's example of how the light from the bare sun behaves vs. that during an overcast day.

I think your drawing really paints the picture well. Although a BD and Softbox could have the similar dimensions of the opening, the light is reflected at different angles. The BD will reflect the light in a more concentrated pattern. Where the Softbox has a wider spread of light coming out due to the light being bounced around inside. Also, the internal volume of a softbox is greater than a BD of the same size. Basically, if you measure the cubic inches of a 24" softbox and compare it to a 27" BD, the softbox is larger.

Am I'm right or just talking out of my butt here?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    This is a crude drawing of an example I once saw that explained the actual size and light spread of a softbox. You would think the light would follow the lines of the box but as it bounces around inside the box it comes out at different spots and angles and makes the light source larger. If I'm wrong please correct me so I don't tell others something incorrect.

You are correct. BD produces more "focused" light (of course, that is if you don't put a sock on it:-), so do the metallic umbrellas and reflecting PLM systems. The only way to "focus" the light from the softbox (to a degree) is to put a grid on it.

The relatively easy way to see the actual light distribution from a specifc "light + modifier" combination is to point to a large evenly painted suface (wall, backdrop), take a shot of that, bring it to PS (or whatever favorite photoeditor you use) and then use Posterize method for a better visibility of the "light zones". Attached is merely an artificial sample of how the result would look like (16 levels).
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    You are correct. BD produces more "focused" light (of course, that is if you don't put a sock on it:-), so do the metallic umbrellas and reflecting PLM systems. The only way to "focus" the light from the softbox (to a degree) is to put a grid on it.

The relatively easy way to see the actual light distribution from a specifc "light + modifier" combination is to point to a large evenly painted suface (wall, backdrop), take a shot of shat, bring it to PS (or whatever favorite photoeditor you use) and then use Posterize method for a better visibility of the "light zones". Attached is merely an artificial sample of how the result would look like (16 levels).

Very nice Nik. I think I remember reading something on this... using Posterize filter to see the light pattern. So cool.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Very nice Nik. I think I remember reading something on this... using Posterize filter to see the light pattern. So cool.

Laughing.gif, you might have heard it from me, I did that before when I was testing speedlight diffusers here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=331275&postcount=17

54346142_HRqvb-L.jpg