Fujifilm X-Pro 1

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited December 30, 2012 in Cameras
I think this is the CSC I've been waiting for. The Pany/Oly m4/3 sensors just aren't doing it for me, and there aren't many lenses that interest me. NEX bodies are well spec'd, but there are precisely TWO lenses that would interest me, but they both look large (24/1.8, 50/1.8). This new Fuji lands with THREE lenses I would want to own, AND a nice APS-C sensor with no AA filter. I think I'm in.

Bullet points from the article below...
  • APS-C, 1.5x crop
  • 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4, 60mm f/2.4 lenses (27, 53, 90mm equivalent)
  • Deliveries will start in March
  • Camera kit includes 35mm lens and will be priced around € 1,300
  • Other lenses will be priced around € 600
  • Sensor will feature a color filter pattern w/ 6 filter sites per pixel instead of the usual 4 of a normal Bayer pattern
  • No AA filter required -> higher native sensor resolution
  • 60mm lens has macro capabilities
  • "X-Mount" bayonet system features 17.7mm flange-to-sensor distance, and features a minimum distance from back lens to sensor of 7.5mm
  • Hybrid VF w/ zoom function
  • VF features parallax compensation

ReponsesPhoto239-p8.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Cool
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Image stabilization? (On body or lenses?)
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Image stabilization? (On body or lenses?)

My high school French doesn't see that in this article, and I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. (www.mirrorlessrumors.com)

Formal anouncement date looks like Monday or Tuesday.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited January 6, 2012
    Definitely looks like an interesting camera. I appreciate the thought that apparently went into their choice of lens focal length and apertures.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Definitely looks like an interesting camera. I appreciate the thought that apparently went into their choice of lens focal length and apertures.

+1, I've been holding off from making the 4/3 to micro 4/3 switch and if I can get those apertures, a solid body, and Fuji colors, it would be a perfect travel camera.

An F3.5 (to keep it small) macro and ~20mm would complete the kit for me.
    edited January 7, 2012
    +1, I've been holding off from making the 4/3 to micro 4/3 switch and if I can get those apertures, a solid body, and Fuji colors, it would be a perfect travel camera.

An F3.5 (to keep it small) macro and ~20mm would complete the kit for me.

Well, the 60mm supposedly has "macro capabilities", but I'm not sure if that means full 1:1 macro. And what would be wrong with the 18mm? or are you looking for a 20mm equivalant (~14mm)?

I'd be more interested in the other side-- 90mm (135) is a classic focal length, as would be 135 (200).

Which leads to the question if Fuji can get enough lenses made to let this format take off. Look how long it took 4/3 and m4/3 to get a decent stable of lenses.

I am watching this with much interest!
    edited January 7, 2012
    Well, the 60mm supposedly has "macro capabilities", but I'm not sure if that means full 1:1 macro. And what would be wrong with the 18mm? or are you looking for a 20mm equivalant (~14mm)?

I'd be more interested in the other side-- 90mm (135) is a classic focal length, as would be 135 (200).

Which leads to the question if Fuji can get enough lenses made to let this format take off. Look how long it took 4/3 and m4/3 to get a decent stable of lenses.

I am watching this with much interest!

20mm equivalent, 18mm on APS-C is alright but for landscapes something wider would be really nice.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    I think I see a renaissance of the golden age of the classic little Leicas (without the exorbitant costs, and film) in a product like this, very exciting! I think, too, it's going to worry the heels of those new N&C uber pro bodies just announced!

And a beautiful 16MP! Yum!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 7, 2012

According to this: http://photorumors.com/2012/01/07/fuji-x-pro-1-xf-lens-details-pictures-of-the-new-ef-x20-flash-and-lc-xpro1-leather-case/#more-17608 the 60mm will have 1:2 macro; better than I feared, but worse than I hoped. ne_nau.gif
    edited January 8, 2012
    According to this: http://photorumors.com/2012/01/07/fuji-x-pro-1-xf-lens-details-pictures-of-the-new-ef-x20-flash-and-lc-xpro1-leather-case/#more-17608 the 60mm will have 1:2 macro; better than I feared, but worse than I hoped. ne_nau.gif

If it is a true 1:2 that wont be too bad since IIRC there is a multiplier effect on that too from the crop so it is closer to what a 1:1 would be on a 90mm full frame lens.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited January 8, 2012
    If it is a true 1:2 that wont be too bad since IIRC there is a multiplier effect on that too from the crop so it is closer to what a 1:1 would be on a 90mm full frame lens.

Plus, if it's a true macro lens, they tend to work very nicely (better than any other class of lens) with extension tube sets.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 10, 2012
    I might be holding onto the S5 for my Fuji duties a bit longer, price of the body only X Pro 1 will be 1,700, and each lens will be ~650.

If I was starting from scratch though this would be a serious contender, if the sensor's new pixel arrangement/no AA filter really works for resolution this will be a fun little camera. It even has a PC sync port for studio work!
    edited January 10, 2012
    Looks like a great street camera. Probably not the camera for me, but still ...
    edited January 10, 2012
    Size
    Well, I guess I should have known I wouldn't get everything I hoped for. It's much bigger than the X100. I thought it would be the same size.

x-family-001.jpg

side-by-side-ilcs-001.jpg

So the size combined with the price means it would have to be a replacement of, not a compliment to, my 5DII.
    -Jack

edited January 10, 2012
    Well, I guess I should have known I wouldn't get everything I hoped for. It's much bigger than the X100. I thought it would be the same size.

So the size combined with the price means it would have to be a replacement of, not a compliment to, my 5DII.

Height and width are in the same ballpark as my Pentax K-5, although the Fuji is significantly thinner.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    I'm falling in love with it!iloveyou.gifeek7.gifD

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • poppappoppap Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2012
    Body and 3 lenses now available for preorder on Amazon,

$1699.95 X-Pro1 Body
    http://amzn.to/x1XEwK

$599.95 35mm f/1.4
    http://amzn.to/xu5ogh

$599.95 18mm f/2.0
    http://amzn.to/ytypWD

$649.95 60mm f/2.4
    http://amzn.to/yZWCj5
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Apparently their will be Leica lenses made available for this camera in the foreseeable future .
    edited March 3, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Apparently their will be Leica lenses made available for this camera in the foreseeable future .

I saw that there is a Leica M-Mount adapter coming, but I haven't seen an announcement of dedicated Leica branded lenses for the Fujifilm X-Pro 1. Did you see something regarding dedicated lenses?
    ziggy53
    edited March 3, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I saw that there is a Leica M-Mount adapter coming, but I haven't seen an announcement of dedicated Leica branded lenses for the Fujifilm X-Pro 1. Did you see something regarding dedicated lenses?

I had a conversation about the camera with someone who works at a camera shop. I misunderstood
    him and called him back and you are correct it is the Leica M-mount adapter he was referring to.My apologies.
    edited March 3, 2012
    No problem. I just checked the FujiFilm USA site and they don't have any official information yet, but I see the same information about the new adapter mentioned on a number of sites, so I suspect it's in the works.

Apparently, someone from FujiFilm mentioned it at the CP+ show, earlier this year. Later, Fuji showed a prototype:

http://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Fuji-X-Pro1-M-mount-adapter2.jpeg

http://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Fuji-X-Pro1-M-mount-adapter3.jpeg
    ziggy53
    edited March 3, 2012
    No problem. I just checked the FujiFilm USA site and they don't have any official information yet, but I see the same information about the new adapter mentioned on a number of sites, so I suspect it's in the works.

Apparently, someone from FujiFilm mentioned it at the CP+ show, earlier this year. Later, Fuji showed a prototype:

http://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Fuji-X-Pro1-M-mount-adapter2.jpeg

http://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Fuji-X-Pro1-M-mount-adapter3.jpeg

Do you have any views on this type of system eventually replacing DSLR's down the road ?
    edited March 3, 2012
    Do you have any views on this type of system eventually replacing DSLR's down the road ?

At least 2 camera manufacturers have said that "mirrorless" interchangeable lens cameras are the future, with the traditional "SLR" design fading and, eventually, disappearing. There are a few hurdles that need to be cleared before that can happen.

An SLR design has an optical path that allows you to see through the taking lens. You see, at the speed of light, what the lens presents, as the lens forms the image. For human beings this means that you have no "lag" regarding the scene contents. This allows an extremely good perception of action within the scene. When you depress the shutter button completely, to take the image capture, there are different "lags", but many of those same lags also exist in the mirrorless designs.

In a typical mirrorless camera design, (I prefer the name "E.V.I.L.", short for "Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens"), the image is captured by the imager, which has to process the captured image and then display that processed data. The cycle of capture-process-display occurs rapidly, but there is delay, and that delay can cause you to misjudge critical moments in time.

(There is another camera design, pioneered by the Canon EOS RT (1989), but recently popularized by the Sony "SLT" series cameras. These bodies use a fixed, semi-transparent primary mirror, which splits the image into 2 paths; one path leads to the viewfinder, while the other path leads to the imager. This design has some problems, but the design is still fairly popular nonetheless.)

Getting back to the EVIL cameras, until the viewfinder delay becomes negligible, they will have limitations regarding sports/action photography, including active children applications.

For most other photographic applications the delay is less critical, and I suspect that entry-level dSLRs may start to disappear in the next few years.
    ziggy53
    edited March 4, 2012
    At least 2 camera manufacturers have said that "mirrorless" interchangeable lens cameras are the future, with the traditional "SLR" design fading and, eventually, disappearing. There are a few hurdles that need to be cleared before that can happen.

An SLR design has an optical path that allows you to see through the taking lens. You see, at the speed of light, what the lens presents, as the lens forms the image. For human beings this means that you have no "lag" regarding the scene contents. This allows an extremely good perception of action within the scene. When you depress the shutter button completely, to take the image capture, there are different "lags", but many of those same lags also exist in the mirrorless designs.

In a typical mirrorless camera design, (I prefer the name "E.V.I.L.", short for "Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens"), the image is captured by the imager, which has to process the captured image and then display that processed data. The cycle of capture-process-display occurs rapidly, but there is delay, and that delay can cause you to misjudge critical moments in time.

(There is another camera design, pioneered by the Canon EOS RT (1989), but recently popularized by the Sony "SLT" series cameras. These bodies use a fixed, semi-transparent primary mirror, which splits the image into 2 paths; one path leads to the viewfinder, while the other path leads to the imager. This design has some problems, but the design is still fairly popular nonetheless.)

Getting back to the EVIL cameras, until the viewfinder delay becomes negligible, they will have limitations regarding sports/action photography, including active children applications.

For most other photographic applications the delay is less critical, and I suspect that entry-level dSLRs may start to disappear in the next few years.

This is good to know, your explanation is much appreciated Thank you.
    edited March 5, 2012

I can't fathom it. Especially when you consider shooting sports, action, kids, weddings, and actually holding a camera securely in your hands.

Digital Medium Format cameras still exist for a reason. So too will 35mm DSLRs.
    -Jack

edited March 5, 2012
    I can't fathom it. Especially when you consider shooting sports, action, kids, weddings, and actually holding a camera securely in your hands.

Digital Medium Format cameras still exist for a reason. So too will 35mm DSLRs.

Well I did notice that the new, X Pro 1. is a bit larger in terms of something to hold on to.New technology replaces old,we used to drive 1927 models T's and they served their purpose, but it doesn't mean we keep driving them.So image "maybe" a system that has all of the attributes you have mentioned,but only superior.It takes longer to go from say .01 % to 10% in an innovative stage of the development of a product than it does to go from 10% to 90%. It's kind of like information going through an inverted funnel,all of the sudden some things become more popular and useful and 8 track tapes become collectors items along with records, and cassette tapes not to mention VHS replaced by CD's and so on. Just my thoughts.ear.gif
    edited March 5, 2012
    X-Pro 1 does not threaten to replace DSLRs, as it is not much more compact, and it is less capable in terms of AF and FPS.

Until we can invent something else that can perform the functions of a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens or a 35mm f/1.4 lens, etc, large cameras are here to stay for specific uses. Point-n-shoot cameras are in more imminent peril of joining the 8-track in the tech museum. (funny, I just bought an S100 too)
    -Jack

edited March 5, 2012
    X-Pro 1 does not threaten to replace DSLRs, as it is not much more compact, and it is less capable in terms of AF and FPS.

Until we can invent something else that can perform the functions of a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens or a 35mm f/1.4 lens, etc, large cameras are here to stay for specific uses. Point-n-shoot cameras are in more imminent peril of joining the 8-track in the tech museum. (funny, I just bought an S100 too)

I am not talking about the x-pro 1 replacing DSLRs. more specifically mirror less camera technology.
    It is only a question ! Anyway this link might tweak your grey cells.

http://www.howtogeek.com/102534/htg-explains-are-mirrorless-cameras-the-future-of-digital-photography/
    edited March 6, 2012
    I've seen the Trey Ratcliff video. He makes a few good points for landscape photography. I also agree EVILs are good for street photography and times you want to be discrete. But think about it, if you want/have to carry a 24-70/2.8 or a 35/1.4 or a 70-200/2.8 (or even an f/4 for that matter), what is the point of a smaller body? There is none. And if you want control over DOF and low noise, you need APS-C minimum, imo. Physics is physics. Glass lenses like those are not going to get any smaller. Someday maybe we will invent a lens and sensor that are as small and sensitive as the human eye, with the same DR, but lovers of thin DOF will be disappointed. And it will have to be something other than glass.
    -Jack

edited March 6, 2012
    You make a very valid case about lenses. Also the ergonomics of shooting a small camera with a LCD screen and having my arms extended out a couple of feet is not a good feeling for me or very reassuring it just doesn't feel right. Maybe they will sort through some of the obstacles or maybe some kind of combination with large glass. Although I am seriously considering purchasing the x pro 1 for a second camera,as apposed to replacing my 5d mii with the new miii .