Options

Lightroom 4?

R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
edited January 10, 2012 in Finishing School
Hi, I currently use Photoshop Elements 9 and Lightroom 2 for post processing. I know LR3 has been around for a while, so before I go out and upgrade my LR2 - are there any whispers about a LR4 release?

Cheers, Richard.

Comments

• Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I was recently wondering the same thing. Here's the best answer I could find:

http://prodesigntools.com/when-lightroom-4-coming-out.html

It all looks speculative at this point as Adobe hasn't officially announced anything yet. I'm hoping something is announced soon!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    The NAPP website has a teaser advert which promises something interesting on 10th January. Apparently, the tooltip, which shows if you hover over the image originally said something like "LR4 [beta] teaser image", although it doesn't say that now.

So, next Tuesday then?

Anthony.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Adobe is pretty consistent about an 18-24 month release schedule.
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thanks all, looks like it will be worth hanging on for a month or so.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 8, 2012
    Just about when I finally get pretty comfortable in their software, Adobe ranks the rug out and updates it again, so, yes, this summer sounds like a reasonable expectation.

Now, what do you think will be added or subtracted from LR4. Any guesses?

I would like layers, even without all the blend modes in PS, but of course, that would negatively impact Photoshop, so I am doubtful, but hopeful, nevertheless.

I wonder if Adobe will still honor an upgrade path from LR2 to LR4? There was pretty extensive changes between LR 2 and LR 3. Camera Profiles were a major improvement in LR3, over LR2, and the major reason I upgraded to 3. Much better noise removal and sharpening tools as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Just about when I finally get pretty comfortable in their software, Adobe ranks the rug out and updates it again, so, yes, this summer sounds like a reasonable expectation.

Now, what do you think will be added or subtracted from LR4. Any guesses?

I would like layers, even without all the blend modes in PS, but of course, that would negatively impact Photoshop, so I am doubtful, but hopeful, nevertheless.

I wonder if Adobe will still honor an upgrade path from LR2 to LR4? There was pretty extensive changes between LR 2 and LR 3. Camera Profiles were a major improvement in LR3, over LR2, and the major reason I upgraded to 3. Much better noise removal and sharpening tools as well.

Scott Kelby had a Lightroom 4 wish list page here: http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2010/archives/11863

My own biggest wish would be for a better GUI-- but I'm not sure Adobe is ready to make wholesale changes to an interface that has remained mostly unchanged since v1.

In related news, Corel apparently bought Bibblelabs, and will be coming out with their own workflow software soon. Competition drives enhancements, and I'm hoping that Corel will be able to put a little heat on Adobe.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 8, 2012
    Interesting, Marc, not one person wanted layers, that is hard to fathom.

I can still hope!.

Maybe an adjustment brush that samples from one image and paints into another - would almost be the same thing as layers adjustments.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    You shouldn’t have to wait till summer... ;-)

You’ll not see layers in LR anytime soon if at all. The closest you can come is found here:http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/layers
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Interesting, Marc, not one person wanted layers, that is hard to fathom.

I can still hope!.

Maybe an adjustment brush that samples from one image and paints into another - would almost be the same thing as layers adjustments.

Of the raw converters that supported layers-- Lightzone is dead. Bibblelabs is now Corel Aftershot. (terrible name!)

I think it's more likely to see an aperture-like approach, in which almost every tool can be brushed in/brushed out. I'd love to see regions ala Lightzone/Bibble as well.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    aktse wrote: »
    LR 4 beta Have fun!

Thanks for the link! Looks like I'll the beta and saving my $ until the official version comes out! thumb.gif

[edit] the videos (http://tv.adobe.com/watch/whats-new-in-lightroom-4-beta/introduction-to-lightroom-4-beta/) show off some really great looking new features!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    Brushable white balance! Huzzah!
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    I will say that the LR3 beta initially left me cold. Only when the final version was released (with the lens corrections and luminance noise reduction) was I reluctantly turned away from switching to Aperture. The new LR4 beta, however, seems to be full of significant and desireable improvements. Can't wait for the final deal! (And I'm probably the only one who hates hates hates the GUI.)
  • Options
    Doug PardeeDoug Pardee Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2012
    LightZone - undead
    MarkR wrote: »
    Lightzone is dead.

Light Crafts ceased operations in September, but the LightZombie Project is a volunteer operation that aims to keep LightZone usable for as long as possible. We've got Raw support updates, including the latest batch of enthusiast compacts like the S100, X10, Nikon 1, and NEX-7, a forum, a blog, a Twitter feed, links to everything we can think of, and a bunch of information. We've got over 100 registered members and probably another couple hundred people who follow the project but haven't bothered to register. If you're a LightZone user, drop by.

LightZone may not officially be alive, but it's moving pretty good. In the past few months, the LightZombie Project has done much more with LightZone 3.9 than Light Crafts did in the two years before that. (To be fair, LC was focused on getting LZ 4 finished, which never happened).