College Hockey - Notre Dame v Boston University

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited January 7, 2012 in Sports
On New Year's Eve the wife and I went to the new Compton Family Ice Arena at Notre Dame to watch the Notre Dame Fighting Irish host the Boston University Terriers. Yes, the Boston name makes me laugh.

I was shooting from 8 rows up in the student section, so I was behind the visitor's goal. It is a relatively intimate barn at ~5,000 people when sold out. The game was "sold out" but not every seat was full. The seats were good for watching the game, not so great for taking pictures as I was basically shooting through the intersection of the glass and the catch net. I am shooting with my Canon XTi and its kit lenses so not as much flexibility as I wanted. Aktse spoiled me by sharing lenses when I last shot hockey. I cranked the ISO up as high as I could, 1600 and opened the aperture as wide as I could (typically 5.6 - no really) and shot at 1/500th to freeze the action. I tried 1/250th but I could see motion blur on the preview.

The entire gallery is located here; but here are a few highlights. Comments and critique are welcome.

1) The scoring moment
IMG6173-Edit-M.jpg

2) After the faceoff
IMG6053-M.jpg

3) Mites on Ice (yup the net was in the way)
IMG6075-M.jpg

4) Change!
IMG5937-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 7, 2012
    Fun times! Sorry about the net. That always sucks.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?