Old Friends

Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited January 8, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I don't normally post before entering a contest, busy work and family schedule sometimes doesn't even allow for entering. This weekend I have an extra few minutes and it gives me a chance to play with the new camera (from my wife) :D :barb

Painted with a single flash. A small amount of window light from the left (barn basement)

What are your thoughts of my old childhood friends?

i-KnxjRF8-L.jpg

Troy

Comments

• PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    I really like this... just great!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited January 7, 2012
    Very nice!
  • Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thank You!

I wanted to add, the wheel/tire and door are from my dad's old Ford Model A. They're all friends thumb.gif

Everything in the photo is OLD, even the DIRT. Laughing.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    I like it too - very nice!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Contact American Pickers right away... they pay good money for them! :D

Just kidding. They sure fit this challenge! :)

I don't normally post before entering a contest, busy work and family schedule sometimes doesn't even allow for entering. This weekend I have an extra few minutes and it gives me a chance to play with the new camera (from my wife) :Dwings.gif

Painted with a single flash. A small amount of window light from the left (barn basement)

What are your thoughts of my old childhood friends?

i-KnxjRF8-L.jpg

Troy
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    While going back over my processing of this image, I realized a technique was used that most may not have ever considered. This was discovered by a solution to overcome my gear limits. Knowing what each of my programs can accomplish I took the photos with the process in mind without giving it a second thought that it would fail.

So here goes. I have one flash, no electricity in the barn basement and very little light. I shot several exposures by wireless trigger to make sure the camera was not bumped and 'painted' the subjects with a flash with the final image in mind.

Image sample below.

I used Dynamic Photo HDR to 'layer blend' the top three images together to create the 4th image. Saturation and Vivid color were turned all the way down. Image 4 was filtered to Black and White via Topaz Labs B/W Effects and pasted over image 4 (full color), then reduced the opacity to 39 percent to appear desaturated, keeping the enhanced textures. Slight Curve adjustments to finish it up. thumb.gif

Quick layer blending made easy. HDR is a tool that can accomplish this if not abused.
    Black and white or sepia overlay with a hint of color is how I accomplish all my 'old feel' photos.

Hope this helps with some ideas. thumb.gif

i-mV5VF4M-X3.jpg

i-KnxjRF8-M.jpg

Troy
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited January 8, 2012
    Thanks for walking us through your process! You certainly got good results with it!
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Thanks for sharing your process. I'm a big fan of Topaz' software... but as yet hadn't pushed my way in to working with true HDR processing with 3 exposures. I checked out Dynamic Photo HDR and it seems to work pretty well and for half the cost of some of the others I've seen recommended.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com