#1 son, 2 img

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 29, 2005 in People
We are trying to get a yearbook shot, but so far he isn't satisfied (of course not.)

41778553-L.jpg

41778622-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    We are trying to get a yearbook shot, but so far he isn't satisfied (of course not.)
    Too bad, since I think these are excellent shots. Nice blurred background, nice colors, detail and very good expression and pose! Good work!

Regards,
    Andreas
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    41778553-L.jpg
    The first one is just perfect!

Yuri
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    I'm not sure if I'd want them for my senior picture either, but that first one's a beaut! I'm not so crazy about the second, closed eyes, looking down and all. Not a strong image of your son, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Laughing
    And remembering how my inner image of myself never translated to what I saw when I got the prints back from the lab.

I'm sure he's at that age even if he's a young man. I'm not even so sure as we get older that what we see matches how we perceive ourselves.

If anything as I get older I'm more shocked every day at what I see in the mirror! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Oh, and I think they are very interesting, thoughtful photos. I just don't like the collar hiding part of his chin in the first one, which is my fav. Perhaps if you were higher up and he were slightly below you the angle might be better.

Danile Chui was fond of taking photos of people that way, from a higher angle.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Dee wrote:

Perhaps if you were higher up and he were slightly below you the angle might be better.

Danile Chui was fond of taking photos of people that way, from a higher angle.

That would have been possible 2 years ago, but now he towers over me.
    If not now, when?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    That would have been possible 2 years ago, but now he towers over me.

I'm sure a man as smart as you could figure out the physics behind solving that problem....
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm sure a man as smart as you could figure out the physics behind solving that problem....

Yes, I know, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to stress how tall my son has grown.
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Rutt, I LOVE that first photo, just love it! And so will he..........in time!

Are all the kids getting their yearbook photos done by "a private individual", or is someone "doing" the yearbook photos?

If someone is "doing" them, I would let him use them for a yearbook picture. One thing kids love to do is NOT be different from their peers.

If all parents are having them done by their favorite photographer, I would experiment with the clothes..............as in what are most kids going to be wearing for the shot.

Then I would do a bunch, 100 0r 200 in fast succession, of head and shoulder shots. Maybe different locales.

Other than that, Bill likes the first shot a lot! And I asked about the clothes, he said it depends on the school.

This shot was just taken, by me, of Bill taking a senior photo, about a year ago. Of course I assume that your set up is similar. And note the shorts on the kid with the suit jacket, funny.

8662012-M.jpg

They never miss an opportunity for "glamour" photography, yuck. These photo packages are obscene in their cost. Particularly as for the most part we are not talking about kids with any money to spare............nor their parents. Yet, these packages sell to very poor people, they sell like hot cakes. I absolutely refused to buy more than the basic when my daughter was a senior, and I bought a few wallets. Just obscene!

The only way they are a reasonable cost is if the kid is killed, as in a car accident, then they are free. Just thought I would mention that.

This is everyone's fave and the boa is a strong fashion idea:

8662007-M.jpg

8662013-S.jpg

Photo of Bill, I obliged and humored him. I will do that to relax people. He said this is NOT a yearbook shot as a yearbook shot is just a head shot.

I think you already have nailed it. But if your son wants more sittings, hey, that is more time you get to spend with a teenager. Father and son working together for a senior photo. I love it! (oh, i like his glasses, too.)

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    And, I know I have mentioned it before, but I will say it again, "GOOD god, your son is handsome!".

And of course, as we have said, it is a male line thing in your family! Thinking of the track running shots, in this picture, I can visualize the man he will become. Very good looking man!

g

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=188342#post188342

My comments are sponsored, of course, by this site, where I put my photos from last night! Cool shots, IMO. The first one is going on the front of "my" calendar.

They blew up, with much fanfare, a part of the old bridge. Not much went right, except the BOOM and the fanfare. They can't find all the pieces to get them out of the shipping lanes, and some of the pieces have unexploded "explosion things" on them. I have not heard when the next "event" to blow up the main part of the bridge is.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited October 29, 2005
    The runner is #2 son, this is #1 son.

I also posted on FM. Got several requests for introductions.
    If not now, when?
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    i dont know about yearbook pictures and im not one to ever give advice, but when i saw this pic, he looks so " New Englandish" So very "Harvard". thats what came into my head when i saw his pic which I think is excellent...

troy

41778553-L.jpg

[/QUOTE]
    edited October 29, 2005
    The Harvard thing is almost on purpose. He is standing besides the Charles, about a 5 minute walk to Harvard Yard. Unfortunately, there is no chance he is going to Harvard, at least not next year.

I was also thinking about the Jerry Schatzberg cover of the Bob Dylan record, Blonde on Blonde:

B0000C8AVU.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

My son is lots better looking than Bob Dylan ever was (and not because he's mine.) And if I do say so, my shot is sharper.

When we were shooting, Robert (my son, not Dylan) called it a Dylan cover tribute shot.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 29, 2005
    Thank you Troy, Ginger, Dee, Yuri, David, Andreas. I liked these pictures and love the praise, especially from this group.

The second shot:

41778622-S.jpg

is no year book shot, but if you know my son, well, it's really him. He's in the most interesting transition from painfully shy.
    If not now, when?