Options

WINNER!!! 1st Wedding Challenge of 2012: Creative Use of Landscape with B&G

sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
edited February 15, 2012 in Weddings
WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!

So, here are the final results:

#1. Image #9 by heatherfeather. Great composition, placement of the subject and use of light (it looks like from camera right) makes this image very good to start with. The landscape in the background leads my eyes towards the bride and her features and rule of thirds is used almost to perfection. When you add the feeling of anticipation to it, this image great. It makes me wonder if the groom will appear any minute or it will start raining soon? Great job.

#2. Image 1 by Quarik. Love the symmetry of the image, usage of odd number of doors, and the pose. However I felt that the couple was a bit difficult to spot in this image. It would have help if there was more light on the b&g.

#3. Image 21 by Patrick I assume. This could have been #2, but painting with the light was a bit too distracting too me. When I looked at it from further away it reminded me of something else:) Sorry, that's just how I felt. Overall it was a great composition, superb use of lights and extended exposure.

Heatherfeather... please send us the new theme! Congrats everyone :D

Hey guys!

Welcome to the FIRST challenge of 2012! Jacek made it a cool twist - so let's be creative here!
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE GALLERY

or go to: www.smugmug.com

login: DgrinExtras
password: knockknock

Then go to: Wedding Challenge • 01/2012 • Creative Landscapes

From there you should be able to upload a pic, but let me know if you have any questions (see top right corner / UPLOAD > TO THIS GALLERY)
When you upload a photo, please mention YOUR NAME below the photo, or your nickname (I need to be able to contact you, if you win, so don't make me chase ya down). Please do NOT upload full res files as I can't take any responsibilities for it and don't want the photo to end up in the wrong hands. Feel free to put your name on the photo.

Once we announce the winner, the top 3 pics will receive a 1st / 2nd / 3rd place badge :D

The CUT-OFF date is January 31st Jacek (BlueSkyPhotos) will then have time to choose the 3 winners and will announce them by February 2nd :barb

Let me (or Jacek) know if you have any questions.

:lust

Shhhhhht, there are 2 entries allowed per person.
Let's gooooooo!!! :lynnma

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Oh boy. landscape-y portriats, ...should I enter Laughing.gif? Or am I not allowed to as a moderator?
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Oh boy. landscape-y portriats, ...should I enter Laughing.gif? Or am I not allowed to as a moderator?

I don't think you technically can, but post some just to put the others to shame anyway, for me, ok? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    I think you are allowed! I can't find the link to the rules, but I am pretty sure when we first set it up that the moderators were encouraged to enter.

It isn't like you would be the judge for that round or anything.

I say the more entries, the better.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    If only this couple was wearing wedding attire! I'll have to re-shoot it this year, I suppose.

i-3dm4QJn.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    In the past we have allowed engagement photos. I don't know why we would stop, unless we are changing things up!

(Gorgeous photo!)
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    I think I might have an unfair advantage here...
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012

Jerk. :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012

I'd pit Joshua tree against Yosemite ANY DAY. :-P

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    I'd pit Joshua tree against Yosemite ANY DAY. :-P

=Matt=

Well I guess there's only one way for me to settle this.

Make a trip to Joshua Tree!
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Well I guess there's only one way for me to settle this.

Make a trip to Joshua Tree!

I was just there last night at 2 AM, doing a drivelapse. Never a dull moment!

=Matt=
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012

=Matt=

A clash of the titans!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012

=Matt=

Video or it didn't happen
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    I think the theme was specifically the bride & groom over landscape... but nice try Matt :p
  • Options
    BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    A lot of talk and no entries. Bring it on and load them up:) Everyone is eligible to enter.

Let's make it more challenging and see images made under some time pressure. So, no e-session photos, wedding day only please.
    Jacek
    edited January 11, 2012
    Hmmmmmm ..... photos with a wedding couple and a gorgeous landscape .... I wonder who will win this challenge rolleyes1.gif Nah well, I submitted my two ... not that there is much of a landscape to them, but ... :D
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    I actually had a really hard time picking just two!
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    There are some really good entries so far !!
  • Options
    JamesCroftPhotographyJamesCroftPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    While I can't quite compete on that level...
    So, while I can't quite compete on that level, I figured I could at least post something. Although the servers might not be up for uploading at the moment, I can at least include it here... any C&C welcome (did I mention this was my first entry on the forums?)
    IMG7622-L.jpg
    Tim
    James Croft Photography
    http://www.JamesCroftPhotography.com
    Photography makes life worth living, or at least makes it more attractive.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Tim!!! Upload it to the gallery!! It's awesome!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    sphynge wrote: »
    Tim!!! Upload it to the gallery!! It's awesome!

Thanks sphynge... I posted that and one more for posterity's sake :)
    Tim
    James Croft Photography
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    They look awesome :) Wish you luck!
  • Options
    BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    We need more posts. I am sure you all have images incorporating some kind of landscape. Give it a shot.
    Jacek
    edited January 19, 2012
    hey there, I tried uploading but it says "File is too large to be uploaded"
    I already brought the size down to 140KB at 900px wide, and it's still not taking it... is there a maximum size? I know for sure it's not my photo.. because i found one where the size is MASSIVE (i assume the original size)

thanks
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Hi Rhommel..
    Try a different uploader. That is usually what it is. :) Some up-loaders are not supported with all browsers.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Yes, I get that message anytime I try to load an image into any of the challenge galleries and it is definitely the uploader. The "simple" or "old faithful" uploader seems to work well. Try one of those.

Sherry
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Hi Rhommel..
    Try a different uploader. That is usually what it is. :) Some up-loaders are not supported with all browsers.

thanks! it worked :)
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    Finally uploaded something, was going to upload some entries earlier this month but decided I wanted to re-do my watermark. Took me a while to re-do it to something I was happy with, heh.
  • Options
    LascauxLascaux Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    Hi everyone. I've got a quick Q for one of the moderators/administrators... I uploaded two versions of the same photo to the contest gallery (oops!) and would like to see if someone with the ability to do so would delete the second of the two images for me. the images are easy to find because they are so alike but just in case they are the images of a bride and groom turning to face their audience for the first time as husband and wife and with the Columbus, OH skyline in the background. Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm new to using the Dgrin site and am inspired by so many excellent images and all the witty commentary. I look forward to hanging around much more often!
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    Lascaux wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I've got a quick Q for one of the moderators/administrators... I uploaded two versions of the same photo to the contest gallery (oops!) and would like to see if someone with the ability to do so would delete the second of the two images for me. the images are easy to find because they are so alike but just in case they are the images of a bride and groom turning to face their audience for the first time as husband and wife and with the Columbus, OH skyline in the background. Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm new to using the Dgrin site and am inspired by so many excellent images and all the witty commentary. I look forward to hanging around much more often!

Yes we can do that; if it doesn't get done by tomorrow just send me a PM or something!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    Good to see you here Cat
    Shima wrote: »
    Finally uploaded something, was going to upload some entries earlier this month but decided I wanted to re-do my watermark. Took me a while to re-do it to something I was happy with, heh.

And yes, you are quite fortunate to have the issue of having a watermark you already like. I can never get mine quite right. That being said, good luck my friend :)
    Tim
    James Croft Photography