DSC0059-XL.jpg

DSC0117-XL.jpg

DSC0026-XL.jpg

DSC0135-XL.jpg

DSC0145-XL.jpg

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Surely the horizon doesn't always lean to the left up there (nor lighthouses for that matter), or does it?

However my entire experience of Canada is flying once from JFK to Montreal for a lunch meeting and return without seeing the country's coast, so I can't be sure! :D
  • BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Surely the horizon doesn't always lean to the left up there (nor lighthouses for that matter), or does it?

However my entire experience of Canada is flying once from JFK to Montreal for a lunch meeting and return without seeing the country's coast, so I can't be sure! :D

OMG - I am so new at this hobby that I never really noticed it was crooked.... thank you so much for telling me.... Geez, will I ever get the hang of this!!!!!!!! Laughing.gif
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    You will. And, if you use an editing program, you can straighten the horizon a bit. Just something else to think about :)
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited January 8, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    You will. And, if you use an editing program, you can straighten the horizon a bit. Just something else to think about :)

Thanks SnowGirl.... I will definitely stand back and look to see if they are straight in the future. I can't believe that I would be leaning to one side so much with the camera.... Hmmm. Perhaps it was because of my footing on the rocks.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    Bailiejo wrote: »
    OMG - I am so new at this hobby that I never really noticed it was crooked.... thank you so much for telling me.... Geez, will I ever get the hang of this!!!!!!!! Laughing.gif

Bail,

Horizon is always a struggle, especially in quick grabs. Some cameras, i.e. the lovely 7D, have a built in level function which helps. I've actually been chastised for using it off of a tripod before, and you have to wonder what kind of person doesn't use all the tools available to them to make the best image...tripod or not.

Anyway, don't worry about it. You'll get it in time.

Everyone has a hand lean at first, it seems. I guess in time, I'll lose mine too because my random, quick shots have been getting better with time. Getting good horizons is something you will do when you start applying your mind more to your images. As you grow as a photographer, the camera is no longer a piece of equipment, it's an extension of the body. Just like driving a stick shift. When you're at that point, you'll pay more attention to your image, and less to your settings and such...giving you straighter horizons inevitably!
    edited January 8, 2012
    Bail,

Horizon is always a struggle, especially in quick grabs. Some cameras, i.e. the lovely 7D, have a built in level function which helps. I've actually been chastised for using it off of a tripod before, and you have to wonder what kind of person doesn't use all the tools available to them to make the best image...tripod or not.

Anyway, don't worry about it. You'll get it in time.

Everyone has a hand lean at first, it seems. I guess in time, I'll lose mine too because my random, quick shots have been getting better with time. Getting good horizons is something you will do when you start applying your mind more to your images. As you grow as a photographer, the camera is no longer a piece of equipment, it's an extension of the body. Just like driving a stick shift. When you're at that point, you'll pay more attention to your image, and less to your settings and such...giving you straighter horizons inevitably!

Wow... thanks Sword and Scales.... I never realized I leaned to the left... of course, I have just started with the camera. I'll definitely be thinking about the horizon on the next shoot. About the settings.... I tired fooling around with shutter speed and aperture on this shoot and I ended up deleting all of the photos and the ones you see here are on "automatic" from the Nikon 5100. When I used my manual settings with aperture and shutter speed, well... you really don't want to see what I ended up with. Dear God, will I ever learn... I'm 60 and it's getting harder to climb over rocks and lay on my belly waiting for that splash of ocean on the rocks.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Good series.

BTW I have NEVER shot a straight picture when it matters! Long live the straighten tool.