Options

Dss #93

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited January 9, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all, It's been a while! I have been incredibly busy for a while now but I am hoping with the holidays over I will find some free time to play a little more.

I scrimped and saved and managed to buy myself a Canon SX40 yesterday. I have a lot to learn, but by the end of my trip to the refuge was feeling pretty good about what I was getting. It was a very Cloudy day and I don't feel I had the hang of that yet when I took these.
I just realized as I uploaded the pics I got today that when I set the time last night, I didn't set it at 19:00, but at 7:00... so this shows that the pics were taken at 10:00 last night instead of 10:00 am this morning.
I'm not sure of any of them yet anyway, but thought I would throw them up here for opinions and ask Sean about the time if I feel inclined to enter one.

Any thoughts on these?

1. Weathered
IMG0134-2-L.jpg

2. Buried treasures
IMG0121-3-L.jpg

3. Closer view of #2
IMG0121-4-L.jpg

DSS#93 gallery: http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/Contests/Dgrin-Challenges/DSS-93-Old-or-New/20954130_7QvNVz

Comments

• Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    Hi all, It's been a while! I have been incredibly busy for a while now but I am hoping with the holidays over I will find some free time to play a little more.

I'm not sure of any of them yet anyway, but thought I would throw them up here for opinions and ask Sean about the time if I feel inclined to enter one.

Any thoughts on these?

1. Weathered
    IMG0134-2-L.jpg

I like #1 best. I was wondering if the color was a little off or maybe it could use some more contrast? It could just be me, tho.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I like #1 best. I was wondering if the color was a little off or maybe it could use some more contrast? It could just be me, tho.

Thanks Jenn!

the color is probably a little bit off. I was working to get the the lines in the wood to show and it wound up quite off at one point. I'll see if I can't tone it back a bit... or maybe try B&W... hmmm
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    wow... yes, I think that color was off more than I realized. I guess I was more tired than I thought last night. :)

Any better? #4 The color is probably a bit more washed out than the scene actually was, but I like it better soft, I think... on #5, I tried B&W. I cropped both. That centered shot was driving me nuts.

IMG0134-5-L.jpg

IMG0134-6-L.jpg
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    REALLY liking #4!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    I like Number 1! The reason I do is all of the texture it has potentially. That is a nice piece you found there. You have some blown highlights in it, so if you could recapture that'd be great, if not, work with what you have. Those textures tell a story.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Thanks Kate and Tom!

So you both like the same shot, just different tones... I may try playing with it a bit and see if a I can hit a happy medium.

I wish I could go back out and try again, but it is even yuckier out today than it was then. Rainy old day. Yes, I love the piece and if it wasn't on the refuge land that I volunteer at it would be in my backyard now. Nothing is supposed to be taken off the refuge. Unfortunately, I can't plead ignorance. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    Thanks Kate and Tom!

So you both like the same shot, just different tones... I may try playing with it a bit and see if a I can hit a happy medium.

I wish I could go back out and try again, but it is even yuckier out today than it was then. Rainy old day. Yes, I love the piece and if it wasn't on the refuge land that I volunteer at it would be in my backyard now. Nothing is supposed to be taken off the refuge. Unfortunately, I can't plead ignorance. ne_nau.gif

LOTS of photog's say days like a yukky day make for better photos....
    tom wise
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited January 9, 2012
    I also like #1 best but there does seem to be a tinge of green there. Perhaps a subtle tweak to the tone will take care of it rather than the more substantial tweaks of 4 and 5?
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    I haven't had much time and having a hard time getting this to adjust to just where I want it. Here is one a bit in between...

IMG0134-8-XL.jpg

for comparsion:
    1. Weathered
    IMG0134-2-M.jpg
    IMG0134-5-M.jpg
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited January 9, 2012
    I like your new version best, but see what others think. :D
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    #6. What a wonderful gnarly piece of driftwood!

I just entered a shot of my neighbor's tree that had just been cut down. Let me know if you think I am infringing on your idea and I will take it down.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Thanks sapphire73 and WhatSheSaw.

WhatSheSaw, I think the two are vastly different. :) I like your idea with the rings... I had thought of that and several others ideas that others shot... just didn't have the time to pull any of them off. Thanks for asking though!