Options

Faces, Boston

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited January 11, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I've been playing over at G+ a lot lately - great fun, btw; great community of photogs over there with lively conversations/shots/info - and thought I'd stop by here and share a few favorites from yesterday.

Haymarket-8436-M.jpg

Haymarket-8441-M.jpg

Haymarket-8444-M.jpg

Haymarket-8448-M.jpg

Haymarket-8449-M.jpg

Haymarket-8451-M.jpg

Haymarket-8458-M.jpg

Haymarket-8460-M.jpg

Haymarket-8468-M.jpg

Haymarket-8474-M.jpg

Haymarket-8481-M.jpg

Haymarket-8482-M.jpg

Haymarket-8485-M.jpg

Haymarket-8490-M.jpg

Haymarket-8499-M.jpg

Haymarket-8511-M.jpg

After my walk around Quincy/Haymarket, I walked over to the Littlest Bar and played a bit of Irish music with some friends:

littlest-8522-M.jpg

littlest-8523-M.jpg

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Really like #17, Sara. The lighting is, as they say, off the doggone chain.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Fascinating face on the fishmonger in #14. It almost looks as if he's wearing a tricorn hat. And I'm with Quincy on #17. A great face and great lighting.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Thanks, Russ and Sword and Spears - for looking and commenting.

That's what I love about BW: it's all about the light, pure and simple.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Very nice series Sarah... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    I meant Sword and Scales! I was thinking of the trad tune The Silver Spear, I guess :-)
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    You most certainly were busy... A nice series for sure. thumb.gif

(partial to #14 myself)

What is this G+ you reference?
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Nice shots Sarah. For me #6 and #14. I'm captivated by the look of the woman in #6, maybe a crop to get rid of the left wall?
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »
    You most certainly were busy... A nice series for sure. thumb.gif

(partial to #14 myself)

What is this G+ you reference?

May I call you Scott?

This was an end-of-day walk through, basically, but a locale with which I'm familiar, so I knew exactly what I was after and how to position myself to get it. I've also re-discovered the 50/1.4 lens that has been rolling around in the bottom of my bag for way too long and have blatantly and unabashedly reverted to my BW roots. I'm not even going to pretend to like color photography anymore (I tried). The combination of the high-ISO capabilities of the 5D and the speed of the 50/1.4 has blown the doors off my shooting. The thing I love best about my 50mm is the OOF background. I can't believe it - back when all I had was my SpotmaticF and a 50mm, all I wanted was bigger, more, longer...and now that I have all that, it turns out I had everything I needed forty years ago. :-)

Anyway...

G+ is Google Plus. If you click the G+ link below my siggie it'll take you to my G+ page. Google is in the process of taking over the world - ha ha, only half kidding - creating a platform from which we'll be able to access many aspects of our lives - and G+ is a major part of it. It's basically social networking, but with a nice clean interface and the ability to organize people into circles, providing great control over in-coming and out-going and with whom you share what. Lots of photographers over there, lots of great info in the stream. If you sign up, add me and I'll share my photography circles with you.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice shots Sarah. For me #6 and #14. I'm captivated by the look of the woman in #6, maybe a crop to get rid of the left wall?

Thanks, Juano. The woman in #6 is one of my favorites. I love her. Of all the reactions I got that day, hers was the most genuinely kind. Plus, I love her eyes and the juxtaposition of the ancient garb with the cell phone.

I appreciate the suggestion about the cropping, but for me, street shooting is less about manipulation and more about cinema verite and capturing what is.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    sara505 wrote: »
    ...but for me, street shooting is less about manipulation and more about cinema verite and capturing what is.

Hear, hear, Sara!
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    May I call you Scott?

Absolutely!

SpotmaticF and a 50mm, all I wanted was bigger, more, longer...and now that I have all that, it turns out I had everything I needed forty years ago. :-)

Ah.... I had the Pentax SpotmaticF with the 50mm f/1.4 as my primary back in the early to mid-70's. Fond memories with that as well and I kick myself for getting rid of it years ago. A Nikon FE with the 50mm f/1.4 has taken it's place though so I'm still in the B&W film game.

G+ is Google Plus. If you sign up, add me and I'll share my photography circles with you.

Thanks for the heads-up and link!

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    How about adding me to your Circles ? as well
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Absolutely!

Ah.... I had the Pentax SpotmaticF with the 50mm f/1.4 as my primary back in the early to mid-70's. Fond memories with that as well and I kick myself for getting rid of it years ago. A Nikon FE with the 50mm f/1.4 has taken it's place though so I'm still in the B&W film game.

Thanks for the heads-up and link!

I loved my Pentax and that beautiful prism focus-spot, and the needle metering that I knew like the back of my hand.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    How about adding me to your Circles ? as well

Ben, I'd love to. Your link takes me to G+ but not to your profile, and since I don't know your real name, can't find you.

Go back to your profile page and copy the link with all the numbers and re-paste it here. I think I remember trying to add you awhile back and ran across this same issue.

So you can either go straight to my page (in siggie) and add me and I'll add you back, or re-post the link here (I'm sure others will want to add you).

Or feel free to PM me.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    I've been playing over at G+ a lot lately - great fun, btw; great community of photogs over there with lively conversations/shots/info - and thought I'd stop by here and share a few favorites from yesterday.

Cheers!

Very nice, Sara. I like a lot of them, but I think 11, 9, and 14 are my favorites.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Ben, I'd love to. Your link takes me to G+ but not to your profile, and since I don't know your real name, can't find you.

Go back to your profile page and copy the link with all the numbers and re-paste it here. I think I remember trying to add you awhile back and ran across this same issue.

So you can either go straight to my page (in siggie) and add me and I'll add you back, or re-post the link here (I'm sure others will want to add you).

Or feel free to PM me.

Done and Sig repaired again :D
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Done and Sig repaired again :D

Added you and shared a few photographers circles that may interest you (including the SmugMug circle).
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Very nice, Sara. I like a lot of them, but I think 11, 9, and 14 are my favorites.

Thanks, BD. Yeah, I like that guy in the middle of the two women. He's a cop.

A few shots down you'll see the other guy, from (9? 11?) in the background, giving me a dirty look. Oh well:D
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Added you and shared a few photographers circles that may interest you (including the SmugMug circle).

Thanks.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    I meant Sword and Scales! I was thinking of the trad tune The Silver Spear, I guess :-)

I had a good rolleyes1.gif when you said Sword and Spears! People call me Swords and Scales all the time too, but, hey, that's what I get for this ridiculous screenname. Should have just been Quincy.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    My wife and I used to go there often. Thanks for the memories. thumb.gif

Nice series.

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Great series. I think 12 may actually be my favorite. Great perspective and great face.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Islandcrow wrote: »
    Great series. I think 12 may actually be my favorite. Great perspective and great face.

Yes - it's all about the faces, isn't it; just can't get enough of these great faces.

Thanks to all who commented, much appreciated.

Happy shooting!
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Good shooting some great candid shots in this set.