Options

Yosemite on ice

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited February 7, 2012 in Weddings
I could say much more about how this happened, but you can read all about that on my blog. Let's just say that I was stoked to be able to make this happen.

d302c16bc63477c52123b3c8edcffd10.jpg

c8971454d57fca4024cdac0310c660bf.jpg

e5d6957538d40b8c6a39e236e6c45b7d.jpg

8fefbcca8e95e50df02152bbd0abaefe.jpg

4b8e2ae768e0c6a1d33ff61b37ecf5b2.jpg

8aecc8f9ad8a74980240d7169dec25af.jpg

Yosemite%20Wedding%20on%20Ice%20at%20Tenaya%20Lake.jpg

yosemite_valley_wedding_under_starlight.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    :jawdrop
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 9, 2012
    :jawdrop
  • Options
    clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Wow!! These are beautiful!
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    very nice - how did you manage to stay up on ice ? :)
  • Options
    lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Very Nice and amazing..Bravo
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    You win! Gotta shoot a bride in Yosemite in 2012...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Hard to articulate my feelings on the set. The word epic comes to mind as well as jaw dropping.

I do have a few questions........did you have an assistant for these shots? How much time did it take to get these images, and how did you get the couple to spend the time and energy to travel and pose for these?

Sam
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited January 10, 2012
    Awesome set!!! Do you happen to have a #5 that includes a reflection???
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the love! I was beyond excited to be able to make this happen and sooooo close to completely failing (arriving at Tenaya Lake after dark).

@Josh walking on ice is surprising easy. I was actually able to run around without problem (I needed to for speed). Plus you can easily move light stands around for bonus points :)

@Sam No assistant on this shoot. Although, at times I would have liked one - there were a few times I wanted to boom a light over the couple, but had to make do. I'm used to working on my own and I move quickly. Getting the couple up there was easy - my clients have all seen my work and they trust me. In fact once I told them of my idea they were super excited. We worked it out ahead of time to a couple of hours for portraits so the time was already there. All told I spent 3 hours and 15 minutes with them (ceremony, portraits + two hours of driving in the park).

@Sphynge I have a frame very similar to #5 that does have the reflection, but it's not a clean reflection because of the texture of the ice (like #7 for example). I thought this one looks better because of the mood and texture. I tried to work the reflection a few times but never got anything better than my first shot on the ice (which was #7) so I had to abandon that idea and make something else work :)
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    Fair enough. I actually love #7 for that reason :D
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    WOW!!!!! Those on ice images are AMAZING!!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 10, 2012
    That's quite a hike as well but well worth the hike. I'm sure your B&G are very happy iloveyou.gif

Very nice images. Especially the last--I don't think I've ever seen that before.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    I think the other thing that's so cool about this is that it isn't often that Tioga Road is open this late in the year. Usually, it's under several feet of snow by now.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    I think the other thing that's so cool about this is that it isn't often that Tioga Road is open this late in the year. Usually, it's under several feet of snow by now.

Yeah, the firefall people are gonna be kinda disappointed in February, I hear... Not a very white winter in that area!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Yeah, the firefall people are gonna be kinda disappointed in February, I hear... Not a very white winter in that area!

=Matt=

Not very much snow. About the only patches of snow are the ones that have come out of a snow gun lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Not very much snow. About the only patches of snow are the ones that have come out of a snow gun lol3.gif

The waterfalls are at their lowest spot in almost a year. The only snow is from an early fall storm. Of course, if it snows in the next few weeks and then clears up again in mid Feb, Horsetail will still look good. It's finicky at best, but a beautiful sight to see.
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Really impressive (yes, I know you've heard it all before) but they are. I'm sure the couple are very excited with them!

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Very nice. My favorites...1, 7, and 8. In 4, it would be nice if you kept the BG and moved the Groom and Bride into the foreground some. They are so far back that you can't tell who they are. I'd try having them walk toward the camera holding hands...looking at each other. And, I also think 6 would benefit from a little front lighting. Or, black them out. Like it is...at first, I thought they were faced away from the camera, but after a second look, they are facing the camera.

Just my two cents...a little food for thought.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Very nice. My favorites...1, 7, and 8. In 4, it would be nice if you kept the BG and moved the Groom and Bride into the foreground some. They are so far back that you can't tell who they are. I'd try having them walk toward the camera holding hands...looking at each other. And, I also think 6 would benefit from a little front lighting. Or, black them out. Like it is...at first, I thought they were faced away from the camera, but after a second look, they are facing the camera.

Just my two cents...a little food for thought.

With #6, well lets just say that in the time I had I could't get it to look exactly like what I had in my head. Close, but no cigar. I was really hoping to get more separation from the groom and the background, but I missed. I only had one light with me, so pushing fill light at them wasn't really an option. What I had really wanted to do was mix in the light painting aspect of 8 into this but it just wasn't dark enough yet. Oh well.

I like your ideas about moving the subjects closer to the camera Ed. I actually used to shoot that way quite a lot in the park (it was my natural instinct to show of the subject). Also, I do have close up shots of the couple together (I just don't show those off).

I've started to a make my clients a smaller portion of the frame for a few different reasons:

(1) To show off the park. Many of my clients travel to Yosemite for their wedding and having it here is incredibly important to them. Of course moving them closer to the camera doesn't mean that I would have to give up the nature aspect, but it sorta does. Right now I think there is a nice balance between a landscape photo and an environmental portrait.

(2) I love the scale. Take #4 for example. Half Dome rises nearly one mile vertical from the place where they are standing. I need them to look small because they are. In fact when I first looked at this photograph, my first thought was "they aren't small enough". To me Yosemite is a humbling place and I want to show this off.

(3) I do not want to sell 4x6 & 5x7 prints. This should be self explanatory.

(4) Many of these (1, 7, 8) were shot on a 16-35, probably close to the 16 mark. Distortion is a huge problem with that lens if I get my subject too close to the lens (or the edges of the frame). Keep them a bit smaller and that problem is negated.

(5) The vast majority of my clients do not like being the center of attention. Yes, it sounds odd for a bride, but this is part of the reason I love my clients. They love these frames for that exact reason - they are not the center of attention of the photographs. They are simply in Yosemite.

Of course there's so much more I could go on and on about but simply put this is the way that feels right for me. At least for now :)
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Strange... I don't see any of those posted in our monthly challenge... (hint hint hint)
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    With #6, well lets just say that in the time I had I could't get it to look exactly like what I had in my head. Close, but no cigar. I was really hoping to get more separation from the groom and the background, but I missed. I only had one light with me, so pushing fill light at them wasn't really an option. What I had really wanted to do was mix in the light painting aspect of 8 into this but it just wasn't dark enough yet. Oh well.

I like your ideas about moving the subjects closer to the camera Ed. I actually used to shoot that way quite a lot in the park (it was my natural instinct to show of the subject). Also, I do have close up shots of the couple together (I just don't show those off).

I've started to a make my clients a smaller portion of the frame for a few different reasons:

(1) To show off the park. Many of my clients travel to Yosemite for their wedding and having it here is incredibly important to them. Of course moving them closer to the camera doesn't mean that I would have to give up the nature aspect, but it sorta does. Right now I think there is a nice balance between a landscape photo and an environmental portrait.

(2) I love the scale. Take #4 for example. Half Dome rises nearly one mile vertical from the place where they are standing. I need them to look small because they are. In fact when I first looked at this photograph, my first thought was "they aren't small enough". To me Yosemite is a humbling place and I want to show this off.

(3) I do not want to sell 4x6 & 5x7 prints. This should be self explanatory.

(4) Many of these (1, 7, 8) were shot on a 16-35, probably close to the 16 mark. Distortion is a huge problem with that lens if I get my subject too close to the lens (or the edges of the frame). Keep them a bit smaller and that problem is negated.

(5) The vast majority of my clients do not like being the center of attention. Yes, it sounds odd for a bride, but this is part of the reason I love my clients. They love these frames for that exact reason - they are not the center of attention of the photographs. They are simply in Yosemite.

Of course there's so much more I could go on and on about but simply put this is the way that feels right for me. At least for now :)

Dude, #4 makes my day. I'm kinda bored (down here in OC especially) of everyone getting all up in people's faces with their f/1.2-ness and just having zero compositional skills required, other than framing the people. (And what is it with people thinking that a dirty wall is the coolest background ever?)

So, while of course I understand you / we gotta get the close-range,smiling-at-the-camera type portraits, ....#4 is the kinda stuff I live for!

=Matt=
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Stunning!! #7 with the lighting on the bridge and the low angle with the reflection is awesome!!
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    Dude, #4 makes my day. I'm kinda bored (down here in OC especially) of everyone getting all up in people's faces with their f/1.2-ness and just having zero compositional skills required, other than framing the people. (And what is it with people thinking that a dirty wall is the coolest background ever?)

So, while of course I understand you / we gotta get the close-range,smiling-at-the-camera type portraits, ....#4 is the kinda stuff I live for!

=Matt=

Wanna know a secret? My clients hate that in your face f/0 stuff too for the same reason we do.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    7 7 7 7 7 !!!!!!!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    LascauxLascaux Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Wow!

These are terrific. I'm heading out on a bike ride but just had to comment. I'll soak these in more when i get back.
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    number 7 clap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    SoppySoppy Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Absolutely outstanding. There are no more words...
    AWS Photographs
    Photography by Alex Sopchak
    Automotive | Portrait | Event
    Hosted by Squarespace 6
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    i'm with Matt. I LOVE #4. I love the scale of the shot.

#7 is just WOW!

Amazing work!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com