Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

nikknikk Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited March 26, 2006 in Cameras
Wondering what you guys think of the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM. Been considering it for a while for the wide angle i needed for my D70.

cheers

Comments

• robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    I'm planning to sell my telephoto lens for this lens. I really need something wider than a 17mm. :)

Here's some samples I found on Pbase.

http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman/samples_sigma_1020mm_ex

http://www.pbase.com/cameraguy21773/sigma_1020_samples

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/10-20_4-56_ex_dc_hsm

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • nathannathan Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    I ended up going with a Tokina 12-24 based on reviews I read. There's a set of comparison reviews on the Nikonians page of the 4 ultra wide digital zooms available for Nikon, this only leaves out the Canon 10-22 EF-S. You may want to read the reviews and comparisons before making your final decision.

Nikonians Super wide angles shootout
    Nathan

Nikon D200
    and a vast assortment of lenses
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Nothing beats a 10mm perspective. And besides, it is f4 @ 10mm, who cares about the rest of the range? Hsm is also a nice feature.thumb.gif

I am really loving mine.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • nikknikk Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Thanks guys for the comments and article links, so now i got some more materials to study before i decide, hope i dont confuse myselficon10.gif with all the choices.

Chase, have you tried using your 10-20 with the hyperfocal method to get maximum dof ? (curious)
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    nikk wrote:
    Thanks guys for the comments and article links, so now i got some more materials to study before i decide, hope i dont confuse myselficon10.gif with all the choices.

Chase, have you tried using your 10-20 with the hyperfocal method to get maximum dof ? (curious)
    Nope. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    nathan wrote:
    I ended up going with a Tokina 12-24 based on reviews I read. There's a set of comparison reviews on the Nikonians page of the 4 ultra wide digital zooms available for Nikon, this only leaves out the Canon 10-22 EF-S. You may want to read the reviews and comparisons before making your final decision.

Nikonians Super wide angles shootout

Bump for a nifty article. Awesome info clap.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Bump for a nifty article. Awesome info clap.gif

a good 'article'-

who are these nikonians anyway? is it run by nikon or their ad agency?

it makes me want to buy a distagon ,or similar, and avoid all the downsides -at the cost of flexibility and autofocus.

the article starts with the assumption that your buying of a zoom was a given,

it then steers you towards saving your pennies and buying the nikon.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    gtc wrote:

headscratch.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Here is a test with the Sigma 10-20mm vs the Canon 10-20mm. Sigma is every bit the peer to the Canon:
    I spent a few hours early this morning, taking shots of various subjects, indoors and outdoors, and these 2 lenses are SO CLOSE IN RESOLVING POWER it's basically a wash. Both in center and edge resolution, the 2 lenses perform very similarly, it really depends on the specific accuracy of the AF on any given shot. Sometimes the Canon outresolves the Sigma, sometimes vice versa, the difference being the given AF accuracy of that particular capture. If I had to choose, it seems to me that the Sigma is slightly sharper (maybe 60% of the time, both in center and edge resolution), while in terms of contrast the Canon has the advantage (this doesn't change with AF accuracy, obviously). The Sigma generally gets very high resolution reviews (e.g., photozone, ephotozine), and from my findings, I'd agree. Both lenses reach their peak resolving power and contrast ability at f8-f11; perfect for landscapes. As they say, "F8 and be there!" You really can't go wrong with either of these UWAs.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 26, 2006
    Another vote for this lense here.
    57946495-S.jpg
  • Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    Check out the latest edition of Popular Photography which compares the third party ultra wides and also includes comments on the Canon, Nikon and Pentax (?) ultra wides. I don't have the article in front of me but I recall, of the third- party lenses, the Tokina was rated the sharpest and Sigma the best of the third-part lenses. The Canon 10-22 was rated best overall.
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    a good 'article'-

who are these nikonians anyway? is it run by nikon or their ad agency?

it makes me want to buy a distagon ,or similar, and avoid all the downsides -at the cost of flexibility and autofocus.

the article starts with the assumption that your buying of a zoom was a given,

ne_nau.gif

Not sure what you're talking about - the Nikon is by far the most expensive. I found the article praised all these lenses differently for various characteristics, and said the Nikon lens was only ahead by a hair, at double the price!

At present, there is no superwide prime lens for Nikon except the 14mm, which is not considered that useful for digital.

Nikonians is not in any way affiliated with Nikon, but is a users group comprised mainly of Nikon shooters. And...I'm not in any way affiliated with Nikonians, save I read it sometimes! 1drink.gif