Skate Park

SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
edited November 4, 2005 in Sports
Had a bit of a freak day yesterday in London, the weather was fantastic. So took the day off :D and headed down to the south bank to shoot these guys. Quite a few photographers milling around and one actually doing a shoot for a magazine (you can see in the background of one pic). Busy day with about 20+ skaters and most play to the camera.:D
Any comments on doing things better graciously accepted..
skate06.jpg

skate05.jpg

skate04.jpg

skate03.jpg

skate01.jpg

skate02.jpg

Comments

• Sandy FeetSandy Feet Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    I really like the composition in the 4th picture (guys hanging out in the back looks cool) but, it'd be nice if the skater was a bit sharper.
    I think action shots are about the hardest to capture, but rewarding when you get it just right.
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    :thumb

http://imagesinsurfphotography.smugmug.com/
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Great action shots. It must have been hard to shoot with that lighting. It looks like #3 has taken a few head banger falls on his skateboard. Ouch.

Dana
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Thanks for your comments :D

I struggled with the focus on these as there was nothing to pre focus on. I had to try and focus on a previous skater and hold the focus until the next one came along, or alternatively used the concrete sculptures as a focus point. Otherwise the autofocus on the 350D just wasn't Quick enough.
    Most were taken with the built in flash so continuous shooting wasn't an option either.

I've managed to find 3 other skate parks in London that I'm going to check out, soon as I can manage another day off work :D
  • Sandy FeetSandy Feet Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Yea, i have the same problems doing surf photography......the subject just won't keep still! Laughing.gif
    I look forward to seeing some more of your skate shots from the other parks. I have a skatepark just a few miles from my house, I was thinking about going to shoot at sometime this week, maybe I'll give em a post and you can critique my shots :D
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    :thumb

http://imagesinsurfphotography.smugmug.com/
    edited November 1, 2005
    Sandy Feet wrote:
    Yea, i have the same problems doing surf photography......the subject just won't keep still! Laughing.gif
    I look forward to seeing some more of your skate shots from the other parks. I have a skatepark just a few miles from my house, I was thinking about going to shoot at sometime this week, maybe I'll give em a post and you can critique my shots :D

If you do go down to shoot, would love to see them.thumb.gif
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    i love how skate photos look in B+W. you should post a few on here sharpend maybe cropped and B+W. it would improve the photos greatly.clap.gif

*just a thought*

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 4, 2005
    These are some really cool shots.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 4, 2005
    Daniel I tried the B&W conversion and preferred the colour shot's on these particular one's. Although I agree on some others the B&W works well.

Ian, thanks for your comments. Glad you like 'em.

It's a new subject for me and one I really enjoyed shooting. I will post some more when I venture up the skate parks next. Just wish i had a fish eye, I have seen some cool shots of boarders using them and have a few idea's myself. Need money, lot's of it. :D