The WVIL camera - footage from CES - seriously amazing

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited January 13, 2012 in Cameras
Saw this posted on my G+ feed. Footage from CES.

Wireless
Viewfinder
Interchangeable
Lens

Wait til 1:05...My jaw is on the floor

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VgBl0ejQ8c0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Going to their website wvil.de shows this to be a concept camera. Not sure how they made this video. Very cool concept
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 9, 2012
    That's amazing! Wireless lens. eek7.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    meh...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 9, 2012
    So ... how is this an advantage or benefit?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    So ... how is this an advantage or benefit?

I think the specs would give some insight as to some advantages.

About 10 frames a second for 180 frames, from a camera kit that weighs around 2 pounds.
    A 28-100 f2-f3.8 lens that weighs less than a pound.
    5 inch display.
    In camera (or maybe body) photo editing.
    All you need is a wifi printer to make sales on site.

I wonder if you can set up multiple lenses, and switch to different ones while sitting in a chair at a wedding?
    If not, I'll bet it'd be in the firmware upgrade.

Macro would be easier.
    No camera shake tripping the shutter.
    I'm sure innovative folks would find many ways to use the new technology.

From the website: http://www.artefactgroup.com/wvil/
    i-Vq4n3fX-XL.png

I think this could be a lot of fun.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    This is 10x more jaw-dropping than the D4 and 1DX combined. Professionally practical, maybe not so much, but useful in general? YES!!!!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited January 10, 2012
    Anyone else catch the 32MP full frame sensor in each lens??? What are they going to charge...$5 grand for a 50mm?
    edited January 10, 2012
    Assuming that their information is correct, 32 megapixels, 10 frames per second, complete lens-plus-imager in one body, display only on the receiver, ... that means that any preview is only at a very low resolution (since it has to be transmitted wirelessly from the lens/imager to the receiver/display). Then the images are captured and transmitted from the lens/imager, to the receiver/display, and processed using an application apparently on the receiver/display. That has to be time intensive for a 32 MPix original image, not to mention 10 per second and 180 frames total.

If you disconnect the 2 main components, presumably to gain a better vantage for the lens/imager, you now have 2 items to contend with. (Notice in the video at the link how the presenter hands the lens/imager to the spectator.)

If you want to change lenses you are also changing the imager. That cannot be cheap.

I just can't envision how this is better than a traditional camera with an articulating display, and a wireless transmitter to send the selected best "results" wherever you wish. ne_nau.gif

Perhaps the uses will be more evident as they release more information and get closer to a final version?
    ziggy53
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Anyone else catch the 32MP full frame sensor in each lens??? What are they going to charge...$5 grand for a 50mm?

It looks like they have lens adapters for different manufactures lenses.
    It looks as if there's a sensor in the adapter.
    So whether you own canon or Nikon lenses, you may be able to use those.
    The question would be, will the lenses still have autofocus and aperture control.

At 31 or 32mp on a full framer, what is the pixel size?
    I know my 5DMKII has the same pixel size as my 8mp 30D.

What I'm getting at is the sensor may not be all that advanced, just a larger
    version of a crop 10 mp sensor, so maybe the cost may not be as much as we think.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Interesting glimpse of the developing thinking in modularity tech, which I have been expecting to come over the horizon.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Very interesting....
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Looks like a really fun camera but what about flash capabilities? Would that be wireless as well?
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Cool. That could be the perfect camera for areal photography. Hang it under a rc quadrocopter and shoot from angles you would otherwise never reach with a high mp camera.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 12, 2012
    Short range wireless communication
    Canon has applied for a patent that would allow short range wireless communication between the lens and camera body

Odd that the two are happening the same week.
    http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/patent-short-range-wireless-lens-mount-other-accessories/
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Am I the only one who thought the video looked staged?

On the one hand - super cool tech, on the other - demonstrating it on a walkway, not a stand
    On the one hand - walking around with the camera, in the open, at a camera show... on the other - just happening to get a phone call (on a prototype device) and insisting on no photos!!

I too can see how cool a concept this is, just made very suspicious by the way the video was put together. Perhaps I'm just getting cynical in my old age...
    edited January 12, 2012
    Mav wrote: »

On the one hand - super cool tech, on the other - demonstrating it on a walkway, not a stand
    On the one hand - walking around with the camera, in the open, at a camera show... on the other - just happening to get a phone call (on a prototype device) and insisting on no photos!!

I too can see how cool a concept this is, just made very suspicious by the way the video was put together. Perhaps I'm just getting cynical in my old age...

...about "cynical" I don't know... but about "logical" you made good points!mwink.gifthumb

Neil

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012

Oh, I smelled "staged" from a mile away. How the guy shooting the video just happens to walk up RIGHT as the guy begins describing the camera, it just seems staged. But either way, if the product is real, the concept is AWESOME!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »

Odd's the word! Good catch, David! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    ...about "cynical" I don't know... but about "logical" you made good points!mwink.gifthumb

Neil
    Oh, I smelled "staged" from a mile away. How the guy shooting the video just happens to walk up RIGHT as the guy begins describing the camera, it just seems staged. But either way, if the product is real, the concept is AWESOME!

=Matt=

Glad it wasn't just me then thumb.gif
    edited January 12, 2012
    Glad it wasn't just me then thumb.gif

They impress themselves, and they think we're stupid!!rolleyes1.gif

Neil

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    This video is actually a year old. It's from CES 2011, not 2012.
    Travis
    edited January 12, 2012
    thoth wrote: »

:jawdrop

Neil

edited January 13, 2012
    thoth wrote: »

Totally missed that. (Laughing at self.) rolleyes1.gif

I'm just not ready to give up on 2011.
    ziggy53
    edited January 13, 2012
    That's crazy. Wonder why it got picked up on by so many people as being from this year's event?
    edited January 13, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    That's crazy. Wonder why it got picked up on by so many people as being from this year's event?

It's a byproduct of misperception and "herd behavior" that is common in humans.

---

At my previous employer I remember a time when 3 of our top accountants were preparing for the annual meeting. They had given me the figures from which to build the PowerPoint presentation. This was maybe a week before the meeting itself. (Fortune 500 company.)

All three accountants had reviewed the results and they were rather pleased that the figures were better than expected (which should have been a hint.)

They also submitted the figures to our president, who had an accounting background. He had already done his own preliminary calculations, and his figures were different from theirs so he asked the accounting department to review their calculations.

Sure enough, all of the accountants had interpreted the figures incorrectly. (This was back when some of the data came from a mainframe computer and then it was manually copied and inserted into PCs for the purpose of the year-end results.

There was this mad dash to re-figure everything and then I wound up with almost no time buffer to re-prepare the PowerPoint presentation.

---

The same thing happened here, and only user "thoth" saw the date for what it was. The fact that "CES" is current obfuscated our comprehension and processing of the date. This is partly the reason why "eye witness" accounts are often proven false too.
    ziggy53