FujiFilm - HS30EXR or X-S1?

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited January 11, 2012 in Cameras
I currently have a D200 and I am looking at moving to either the HS30EXR or the X-S1. I know some of you are going to ask why move from a dSLR to a "Bridge Camera", but that is not a topic for this thread. :)

I did own a S100FS and it was a great camera. It just didn't suite my needs at the time, so I sold it.

Here are some concert photos taken with the S100FS:

Link to photos

So, my question is. Will I be okay with the HS30EXR for $499 (MSRP), or am I going to really kick myself and wish that I had spent another $300 for the X-S1?

Is the X-S1 really going to be worth $799??

I already have a pocket P & S (Panasonic TZ5).

I would use the other camera (HS30 or X-S1) for mainly landscape, scenics, etc... If I had a family gathering (example: birthday party) I would probably go for the P & S. If I wanted an impromptu grab, I would just use my Razr.

I haven't shot a concert in a few years, but I really like the Manual mode of the bridge camera vs. the P & S.

Thank you :)
Neal

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 10, 2012
    I generated a few viable landscape images with small sensor cameras, but a modern dSLR has a "smoothness" quality, in addition to lower noise and greater dynamic range, that I have not seen in the small imager cameras.

If anything, my recommendation is to upgrade your dSLR and lenses for really great image acquisition, and then hone your post-processing techniques for the very best results. Compared to your D200, for example, the Nikon D7000 gives much more pleasing results in general, with regard to that "smoothness" factor. Compared with a P&S or even most digicams, the D7000 will beat them at base ISO (although it is more subtle), and there is no comparison at high-ISOs where the D7000 is just exemplary.

You can use the Imaging Resource "Comparometer" to see for yourself.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    I'd love to "upgrade" my D200, but I can't afford to do so. My options are to keep a 6 year old camera or sell it and get something newer with newer technology like the X-S1

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 10, 2012
    Another camera to consider, and at a similar price to the FujiFilm X-S1, is the Canon Powershot G1 X. It has a large sensor, and probably a very dSLR-like image quality. The photosite density and image processor appear to be very similar to the Canon T3i/600D.

The camera is a viewfinder style and the lens is not as wide as some would like, but the lens may prove to be very high quality with fewer aberrations than the HS30EXR or X-S1, just because it has a shorter zoom ratio along with high quality glass.

(Most of the above is conjecture because very little is known about this camera.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Thank you. I'll look into that one.

I've also considered the following: Canon PowerShot SX40 HS, Panasonic FZ150K, and the Nikon COOLPIX P500.

What's really attracting me to the FujiFilm:

"SLR-like" (focal length, manual focus on the barrel)
    Filter threads
    P, A, S, M shooting modes